Author Topic: Forum - New Look  (Read 24800 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 03:06:31 pm
I like the old format much better than this new hard to read, bland and very spread out format of long sentences spread over several inches making it difficult for eyes to trace the long lines and ultimately it becomes user unfriendly.  This is like going to a huge store and getting lost in the isles and coming back without buying what you went in for !

The letters are pretty small.

This format  ::)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:09:45 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 03:16:45 pm
And a huge advantage of the new format is that you can view big pictures without having to scroll left and right due to the narrow old format.

Uh, I have to scroll to see the large photo you just posted.
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 03:18:29 pm
And a huge advantage of the new format is that you can view big pictures without having to scroll left and right due to the narrow old format.

Uh, I have to scroll to see the large photo you just posted.

What kind of device are you using to view the forum ?

I'm on a ton of forums and this new format is pretty standard for them across the various forums. It works pretty well and it is usually pretty secure against hackers.
Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 03:42:32 pm
Okay and I figured it out...Just a wee bit confusing at first..I think my hand and click finger was just use to getting a certain position whereas it was just second nature. ;)..I see what u mean about the pics...Still thought the previous site had a bit of shine to it..Thanks.
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 04:00:16 pm
After pushrod mentioned having to scroll my picture, I checked it on my laptop, kindle and iPhone. All show the entire picture without any undo manipulating.
Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 05:00:59 pm
 I'm using a pc, windows xp. I'll try it on my wifes laptop windows 7 and see if it's the same.
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 08:03:57 pm
OK I admit it, I'm old and resistant to change. But who f*cked up my familiar comfortable hanging out place?
And why?
Reallly  -  why? >:(
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 08:35:46 pm
For me the pics on the old forum were a PITA.

I prefer this one.

See if we all like it after a month. Bet we do.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 08:53:01 pm
OK I admit it, I'm old and resistant to change. But who f*cked up my familiar comfortable hanging out place?
And why?
Reallly  -  why? >:(

The new format is more hacker and spammer resistant than the old format.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 09:41:30 pm
This is much cleaner design both graphically and typographically. Larger, thicker text. Easier to read. The colors and layout are sharper, though that's just my taste.

You'll get used to it, just like you got used to the old one. And I'm sure Rhett will figure out how to bring all the other goodies back.

elmagnifico

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 10:21:09 pm
Except for the pictures I like the old one better.
2003 bullet deluxe

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:48 pm
I'm thinking that we may, indeed, be able to offer a few options for the forum layout. I'll see what I can do to set one up that's somewhat similar the previous version.

For you naysayers - Other than general familiarity, what specifically do you miss from the old layout and what specifically do you dislike about the new one?

So far, one common point I'm hearing is that the new layout is too wide and that there are readability issues. Kind of funny... making the layout wider was the most common point of feedback we used to get on the old layout. I'll see if I can tune it a bit. There's room for compromise, methinks.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 11:37:32 pm
New format seems to work well on my Iphone.  I do seem to need to log in every time I switch machines, my assumption is that a login is now tied to your mac address and not as much to a cookie.  Not a bad thing I guess.           

Is the guy with a cane for spoilers? [suspicious]Or do you need to be logged in to see it?  [/suspicious]

The new engine does seem nice.
[suspicious]Test of the cane thing.... [/suspicious] 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 12:22:37 am
I'm thinking that we may, indeed, be able to offer a few options for the forum layout. I'll see what I can do to set one up that's somewhat similar the previous version.

For you naysayers - Other than general familiarity, what specifically do you miss from the old layout and what specifically do you dislike about the new one?

So far, one common point I'm hearing is that the new layout is too wide and that there are readability issues. Kind of funny... making the layout wider was the most common point of feedback we used to get on the old layout. I'll see if I can tune it a bit. There's room for compromise, methinks.

1. The new font Verdana is harder to read than older Tahoma font - even Calibri 11 is better than this new font.

2.  Way too long sentence lines, one looses track going from left to way out to exreme tright.

3.  The text inside the Typing Box is much larger than text outside the box.  If one wants to read and respond to another post, eyes have to constantly readjust to two widely different sizes - one inside the box and one outside.  Not a smooth transition.

4.  Copy a post, and paste it on a new page (of word document), and try to read - see how horrible is the layout.  The name of user, symbol, karma, mail icon, other icons, each takes up one line then alternating space, so the whole page from top to bottom is filled with these symbols from top to bottom before reaching body of text ! Once you reach text, the user name is out of view, so you lose the relationship between author and at least first few lines of the post.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:26:01 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 12:27:26 am
In the compose screen the last block after the guy with a cane is toggle view,  It adjusts the fonts to the out of compose view I think.

Font should be a skin option IMO..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *