Author Topic: StarTron/Plug Chops  (Read 3690 times)

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
on: May 07, 2008, 12:21:50 pm
Has anyone been adding StarTron to the petrol? If so, have you done any plug chops with the StarTron in the tank? Have you noticed anything different with the plug? Does it look extraordinarily clean? I'm running a #130 main jet, and a #32.5 pilot jet with a K&N air filter and a classic exhaust system. It is running like a top, but the plugs are coming out with just a trace of tan on the insulator, and the electrode tip a dark grey.
Lemme know.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:41:47 pm
It is running like a top, but the plugs are coming out with just a trace of tan on the insulator, and the electrode tip a dark grey.
Lemme know.

So what's the problem again? ???

Sounds to me like you have a very good thing going. :)
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:48:49 am
Being somewhat obsessive compulsive, I just want to make sure I'm not running too lean, and potentially burning a hole in my piston. All signs, except for the lack of a chocolate brown plug electrode, suggest I have nothing to worry about. Just the same, I'm running the StarTron (which, my mechanic advises me, is much better than StaBil) out and will do another plug chop after a few fill-ups of 93 octane petrol.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:46:16 pm
Just curious, why are you running 93 octane?  Do you have a higher compression piston?

will do another plug chop after a few fill-ups of 93 octane petrol.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

mtrude

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 01:05:29 pm
What is Startron , and why are you using it? I would think using an additive would confuse the plug reading issue?   Would different amounts of additive, depending on the amount of fuel in the tank, show a "false"  or temporary plug condition? Maybe not if its used in a consistent fashion, just thinking out loud.   Im too frugal to use 93 octane, anyway at stock 6;1 compression it should run on the cheap stuff. Have fun, mtrude

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:18:27 pm
Being somewhat obsessive compulsive, I just want to make sure I'm not running too lean, and potentially burning a hole in my piston. All signs, except for the lack of a chocolate brown plug electrode, suggest I have nothing to worry about. Just the same, I'm running the StarTron (which, my mechanic advises me, is much better than StaBil) out and will do another plug chop after a few fill-ups of 93 octane petrol.

Don't worry, with a 130 main and a 32.5 pilot running lean shouldn't be on your list of worries.
StaBil is great for long term storage of gas, not something you use every day.
StarTron????????? sounds like another snake oil elixir.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 03:26:21 pm
93 octane? Habit. Had some pre-ignition issues last summer which went away with Hi-Test. I'm sure I don't need it now, but, well, it's a habit. StarTron, which is available through West Marine (among others) is no snake oil - my Enfield mechanic swears by it. He's seen some gloop associated with StaBil.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 09:50:49 pm
Yeah, but what does Star-tron do?  Is it another gas stabilizing product like Stabil?  Inquiring dull minds (mine) wanna know!  Thanks!
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:35 pm
According to the literature, StarTron stabilizes AND cleans, which led to my original question. I know that my carb looks really clean. My Enfield mechanic swears by the stuff. Google "StarTron" for specifics.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 11:57:14 pm
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 06:16:46 am
According to the literature, StarTron stabilizes AND cleans, which led to my original question. I know that my carb looks really clean. My Enfield mechanic swears by the stuff. Google "StarTron" for specifics.

Mold in diesel fuel??  yea right...

YES: it's true!! My brothern'law built a 1,000 HP pulling tractor so he's really up on this stuff. He's talked about octane and ctane and how it's really the ctane levels that make a difference. From what I understand of it I'm thinking that it would help my 11 year old Lumina with 130,000 miles to clean the gunk from the tank, lines and injectors. as far as making a difference on a newer motorcycle that gets fueled regularly...
it's going to make the gasoline burn differently.....
 as a stabilizer, I'm thinking it would work.
check the website and decide for yourselves...
     - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 04:01:09 pm
Jet fuel can be prone to bacteria growth. They put in an additive to take care of this.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com