Author Topic: A motorcycle is growing in my garage...  (Read 2293 times)

carlo

• Scooter
on: May 11, 2012, 03:26:13 am
Finally got all the parts ready, and it's beginning to shape up.
Still need to clean up and reassemble the engine, but that should be done this weekend, and I'll get it hung in the frame, and hopefully, ready to fire up by midweek.
The big show is next Sunday.
Oregon Vintage Motorcyclists

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:24:30 am
By golly!  It's coming right along. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:56:13 am
are the dual brakes stock?

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:33:09 pm
Looks great! I love the color scheme...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

carlo

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:35:32 pm
are the dual brakes stock?

Not hardly. That's a Suzuki GT750 front end on there.   (except for the "casquette")

But I did add a personal touch to confuse people.

Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha use bits of aluminum tape with the appropriate name stamped in for this purpose. I made these out of enameled copper.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:40:16 pm by carlo »

carlo

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 02:07:00 pm
A bit of explanation regarding the front end is due.

Why a Suzuki GT750 front end?

An article in the REOC/USA newsletter some 25 years ago that someone wrote claiming a Suzuki GT750 front fork would fit perfectly onto a Royal Enfield frame got me excited about the possibility of relatively modern suspension and good brakes, so I went to the local "breakers" and bought one.
Sadly, I was unaware at the time that they originally used a really excellent four-leading-shoe drum brake on the early models. This one had the twin disks. I wish I'd known enough to make sure I got the drum brake model front end.

I don't know what the guy was smoking when he "fitted" that fork to his Enfield, but they're not a "drop-in" replacement. The bearing races aren't interchangable between the frames, and the diameters of the races are different, so you can't just use the Enfield inner races with the Suzuki outer races.
I just stashed the forks away.

So, I figured out how to do it, and still have the famous Enfield "casquette".
Cut a thread into the Suzuki stanchion tubes, and just replace the legs, but keep the Enfield triple clamp. That's a pretty simplistic description of how it was done. For more detail visit my blog post.