Author Topic: Center stand issue  (Read 3479 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
on: May 04, 2012, 11:34:53 am
Hey guys,

I have recently noticed that when I take the bullet off the center stand, it makes a loud metal clunk type noise. It didn't use to happen before and always had a soft sound to it.

What is your view on this? Springs gone mad? The cushion thing is still there. I'm sure the stand doesn't hit anything else besides where that cushion/rubber is.  I have attached a picture for reference. Maybe I haven't picked up what's wrong, so this is the place to be :D

Edit:

Oh wait! Is there supposed to be another rubber/cushion below the existing one, on the bigger dia support?

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 01:05:02 pm
Mine looks exactly like your does. Only thing I can suggest is that the rubber pad getting shaped like the little bar it lands on. Looks normal to me.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:15:26 pm
JVS
Have you tried parking the bike on the sidestand,  pulling the center stand down and then releasing it to let it snap back up?

If it's clunking on something, you should be able to hear (and see) where it's hitting.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 01:12:12 am
Cheers Desi Bike. And no Arizoni, I haven't tried that but did a similar thing where the stand appears to just hit where it is supposed to.

Anyways though, I shall check again. Thanks for the help

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:47:17 pm
Put some oil or chain lube in the pivot while you're there. Mine was really noisy and creaky until I did that.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 02:14:41 am
After reading this post, I found that my G5 center stand rubber pad is disintegrating. The top half of the rubber pad is ready to fall off ! When touched, the rubber started to crumble. I guess the rubber lasts only 3 years. So it needs replacement. Any ideas for making it ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 03:10:38 am
Get a cheap rubber welcome Matt and some contact cement.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:10:11 am
Put some oil or chain lube in the pivot while you're there. Mine was really noisy and creaky until I did that.

Scott

Yep, it's still hits back with a clunk. But I will try the oil/chain lube thing soon. Thanks.

@Singh
Three years :o Mine's only been about 4 months ish. I might need to replace mine also.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:30:00 am
Get a cheap rubber welcome Matt and some contact cement.

@Scott - That is a good idea, I modified it a little. Thanks.

My G5 rubber pad on stand had two problems - it was loose so it shifts position (it is not glued to metal plate behind it) and secondly due to repeated strikes against the frame, the pad groove had cut through - exposing edges of metal plate that would hit the frame with a 'clunk'.

First I glued the edges of pad to the metal plate behind it. Then I glued a patch of bicycle tube on the rubber pad. The groove perhaps allows the stand to stay higher up than it would otherwise. Will see how this new arrangement works out and how long it holds.

One good thing that the rubber pad is attached to metal plate by a conical stud that passes through a hole in the center of plate. The stud was intact and kept the pad from falling off even if it was not glued to plate.

@Singh
Three years :o Mine's only been about 4 months ish. I might need to replace mine also.

@JVS - It is never a dull moment with a Royal Enfield, always something to do :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:09:35 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 04:06:53 am
I was thinking of inner tube but thought it would bd too thin.  Guess not.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:06:18 am
Nice setup there Singh. I still need to have one last close look before I replace the cushion

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 04:57:17 pm
Could you just slit a piece of fuel hose and wrap it around the rod it hits on?
'11 C5 Military

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:10:06 pm
Could you just slit a piece of fuel hose and wrap it around the rod it hits on?

That would be just too easy.

I guess we are all looking for the Holy Grail on the wrong coast. The rubber is degraded, replace the rubber.  But I never thought to look at putting rubber around the rod. Brilliant.

My next idea was to put a bicycle rim brake pad like what is used on 10 speeds and such and bolt it through the stud.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں