Author Topic: opposites attract?  (Read 4802 times)

fzr400

• Scooter
on: April 28, 2012, 08:48:08 pm
my uce getting accepted by the others in the heard.  no i do not wheelie down the highway or do burnouts or stopies.  i very much enjoy mochines and i sought after each bike i own for its own reasons.  the rc51 pictured. for its chassie and engine which sounds like no other. big bore vtwin with gear driven dohc's. the gear whine is very cool.

i love the art of riding a cycle.not just twisting the throttle. ive studied for many years on cornering and what body movements do to the handling of a bike. im alone rider because of this. im my area its nothing but dumb as! sportbike wanna b's who just know how to twist the throttle or throttle bliping hardly's with straight pipes who hold up traffic.

i also have a us spec 1st gen yamaha vmax 1200 which i sought after for many years. trying to find an affordable unmalested one is hard to do around here.

those of you who never had the chance of a full throttle run through the gears youre really missing out ;D  the vboost is amazing kick.

the fzr400 well i went 1900 miles to get a none running example.non raced. very rare in the US.
but its hanling is unmatched and was the first production bike to rev to 14k. 399cc liquid cooled inline 4. only 88-90 in the states due to it only being a 400. which everybody in the US thinks bigger is better ::)  most went straight to road racing.

now the RE is very cool to me and love it for its own reason's and i am glad i got it!!

if i had to keep just 1 id have to say probally the RE. because of its requires just the right amount of care and to be fun and is the least threat to my license  ;D

and to those who say the stock tires dont have enough grip (RE) ive already scraped the rear brake lever and the left peg around the bends. quite a fun bike the B5 is ;D

current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:43:57 pm
Vmax?  Wasn't that the bike some moto mag couldn't get a quarter mile time for because it kept wheelieing about 2/3 ifvthe way down the track?

Scott

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:32:58 am
Vmax?  Wasn't that the bike some moto mag couldn't get a quarter mile time for because it kept wheelieing about 2/3 ifvthe way down the track?

Scott

dont know about that. the 1gen vmax went from 85-07 with some minor changes in 97 was a true muscle bike with 145hp and 100flbs at the crank. 1198cc v4. the vboost is what makes it such a trill at around 6200rpm a servo  opens up the intake track and  feeds each cylinder off  2 carbs instead of 1 carb per cylinder (v4 4carbs) which gives it a 2stroke like kick in all gears. from 6200 to 10k rpm.

harleys vrod cant even hang with it some 20yrs later. the new vmax is bigger makes over 200hp and cost 20k >:(

thanks for your reply.  i know everybody has their own taste. even though i have much more powerful bikes then the uce RE i still like the b5 and enjoy riding it just as much as my other rides. ;D   
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:50:19 am
never had a vmax but my 1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim with it's inline 4 is as fast as I need or want. I  went with RE because I wanted a small cruiser with style. I had a 1974 Honda CB550 4 that I would have kept if it got better then 35mpg that was with being conservative on the throttle. I do love my XJ and get 52mpg when not riding hard (45mpg when hammering the throttle) but I only really use it as a secondary bike the RE is the every day bike. I can relax a little easier and enjoy seeing peoples faces as I ride by.
Signature

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 06:00:09 am
Fzr400, can we see a picture of your VMAX  :D

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:41:04 am
here it is. not for everybody. best mpg's so far 37. if your really floggin it you will empty the 4 gallon tank in less then 100miles. but mpg's is really not what its about ;D
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:04:00 am
never had a vmax but my 1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim with it's inline 4 is as fast as I need or want. I  went with RE because I wanted a small cruiser with style. I had a 1974 Honda CB550 4 that I would have kept if it got better then 35mpg that was with being conservative on the throttle. I do love my XJ and get 52mpg when not riding hard (45mpg when hammering the throttle) but I only really use it as a secondary bike the RE is the every day bike. I can relax a little easier and enjoy seeing peoples faces as I ride by.

rc51 speedo.   no it dont go that fast. im sure nicky hayden and colin edwards version did.  165-170mph in its current form i suppose. liter bikes today will beat that  for sure. but dont believe those squids who say their bike will do 200mph+
back in 99 i think the japanese said they will limit all (street bikes) to 186mph though most bikes dont have the power to get there anyway.
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34:41 pm
harleys vrod cant even hang with it some 20yrs later. the new vmax is bigger makes over 200hp and cost 20k >:(

harleys (any of 'em) aren't made to keep up with that thing. Why do you think they should? Apples & oranges. You should contrast & compare bikes of the same type if you're going to do it all.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 05:17:55 pm
883 Sportster compared to Honda Shadow 750 RS. I would put my money on the Honda from what I have read in several articles that have done so. I would say that was a fair comparison, or the Triumph Bonneville to the 883 Sportster (Maybe the America would be fairer do to the different firing order?). 

Royal Enfield B5/C5/G5/E5 what ever 5 vs Yamaha Warrior. geez every one knows the Royal Enfield isn't truly slow it only take longer to get any where because as soon as you stop you getting people asking questions. For that I say Royal Enfield hands down beats the tarmac out of the Yamaha Warrior. I know this as gospel because my friend has a Warrior and no one ask him about his bike when we stop some where like a gas station because every one is always over at my bike. :-D   Brings me to the Harley Vrod, I am not a big fan of HD but I confess I like that bike but if I had a choice between that or the Yamaha Warrior well the Warrior would win it (that isn't a fair comparison either is it?).
Signature

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 05:18:32 pm
I would say it's safe to compare Harley's V-Rod to the V-Max, if Harley ever had a hot rod bike, that's it. Alot of Harley riders shun it, won't even consider it's a Harley because of the style.
'11 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 12:54:00 am
Harley mantality.  "You can be different so long as you're just like all the rest of us."  :(

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 01:19:01 am
Harley mantality.  "You can be different so long as you're just like all the rest of us."  :(

Its easy to make your Harley different, just put tassles on the end of the handle bars.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 02:05:10 am
Life is to short to drink cheap wine and dance with ugly women ~ My great uncle Pete.

Variety is the spice of life ~ My dad

Life is to short to blindly embrace just one bike,,,,you don't eat the same thing for breakfast forever do you ? ~ Me

No matter where you go, there, you are.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 07:00:23 am
What's wrong with cheap wine and ugly women? I'll take what I can get thank you very much!

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:55:47 am
Why compare at all?

You either like a bike or you don't.

And if you were going to compare then surly you should compare like with like. So compare the RE with a Norton/Triumph/BSA/Ariel/Velocette etc from the 1950's.

You can't get them, but the RE is available!
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.