Author Topic: Howdy from Ohio  (Read 3499 times)

Preble55

• Scooter
on: May 05, 2008, 01:47:59 pm
I've been lurking and learning for a while. Nice group you have here. I have a 2008 Classic I picked up about a month ago. I lucked out and found a dealer just 5 miles down the road from me (http://www.heindlengineering.com/). Jon and his father, Dave, have been excellent to work with if you're in Ohio and looking for either an Enfield or a Ural. I had owned only Yamahas before getting my Bullet, and this thing is a total blast; like being in an old movie. I love it. I was well on my way to having my first 300 break-in miles done, but about a week ago I lost my kick starter. I don't mean that it stopped working . . . it FELL OFF while I was out riding and I lost it. I re-traced my route trying to find it, but no luck. My dealer has called CMW and other dealers he knows but nobody has a spare kick starter in stock. Anybody here know where one might be gotten?

Ed in Ohio

[old attachment deleted by admin]

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 04:56:18 pm
I've been lurking and learning for a while. Nice group you have here. I have a 2008 Classic I picked up about a month ago. I lucked out and found a dealer just 5 miles down the road from me (http://www.heindlengineering.com/). Jon and his father, Dave, have been excellent to work with if you're in Ohio and looking for either an Enfield or a Ural. I had owned only Yamahas before getting my Bullet, and this thing is a total blast; like being in an old movie. I love it. I was well on my way to having my first 300 break-in miles done, but about a week ago I lost my kick starter. I don't mean that it stopped working . . . it FELL OFF while I was out riding and I lost it. I re-traced my route trying to find it, but no luck. My dealer has called CMW and other dealers he knows but nobody has a spare kick starter in stock. Anybody here know where one might be gotten?

Ed in Ohio

Welcome Ed!

Nice looking bike you have. Hope you locate another kick start lever.  Maybe it's worth a second backtracking trip to see if you can find the original...(seems like it's always my second or third attempt before I find my roadside components!)

Matt

Preble55

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 05:13:12 pm
Thanks for the welcome, Matt (I crack myself up)  ;)

I actually rode the entire route in my truck, and then did it again the next day on my bicycle, and no luck. It's probably out there laying in a big grassy ditch somewhere, but I'm not gonna WALK those 15 miles!

Ed

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:56:20 pm
Thanks for the inadvertant heads-up--it obviously pays to go over the fasteners in the walk around before a ride tightening any that are found loose.  I've heard of fellows (ride report in an MC magazine) who had a muffler fall off because the bolt became loose and was not checked and tightened.  Loctite also is the way to go!
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:59:28 pm
I had mine come off once as I was kicking it over with about 700 miles on it.

The bolt that holds the foot part to the lever also works loose over time.

it definitely pays to check all the bolts regularly.

Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 07:25:59 am
I think I should mention that I have had an ongoing problem with my kickstart pedal vibrating loose. I believe I have mentioned this before but it is a good idea to check out your ride thoroughly at first because their are a lot of adjustments to be made. They go away for the most part but you have to be diligent. Always carry some loctite and maybe a liitle superglue with you. I have come so close to losing my kick starter, I feel sorry for you.   

Preble55

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:17:29 pm
You can bet the nuts/bolts on the new kick starter will be checked routinely, and probably slathered with Loc-tite  ;)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:37:43 pm
I hear you on the kickstart issue, but mine would have to go through my ankle first before it came completely off.  In fact it makes its presence known the whole ride.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:16:28 am
My kick starter is the only piece of my bike other than the "infamous Sprague Clutch" ( those who do not know what this is, will) that has given me any kind of problem.
This for anyone reading this that hasn't bought an ENFIELD, find someone who owns one and likes it, find a reputable dealer DO nOT LISTEN TO THE OPINION OF SOMEONE WHO IS CLOSED MINDED TO BIKES THEY ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH!

michigandon

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 10:57:31 am
This for anyone reading this that hasn't bought an ENFIELD, find someone who owns one and likes it, find a reputable dealer DO nOT LISTEN TO THE OPINION OF SOMEONE WHO IS CLOSED MINDED TO BIKES THEY ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH!

I read a response to a post on the Jockey Journal board of all places where someone was inquiring about these bikes, and the fella told him that he needed to go talk to a few folks who actually own/operate/work on these motorcycles, NOT people who "heard stuff" about them.

There's way too much "I heard/I read/they say" crap floating about on the net about many different subjects. Seems as though it's way easier for most folks to sit around and badmouth something than it is to learn about it.  ::)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:24:21 am
True story Michagandon. I know a couple of people that are active in the cafe subculture here and they have nothing but bad to say about my bike even though most have never even seen a RE and almost none even ride a British bike! They are all Japanese! I am not knocking it, they are replicating a time and place without having to go through the reality of it, and that is fine; I don't want to have to do more than is neccessary either. I just cna't believe that of all the bike cultures out there this one would be the one to worry about whether they're D#*Ks long enough! When I lived in Podunk USA, it was always Harley guys. Now I get nothing but love from Harley guys but am aware that as soon as I step outside the city into my old stomping grounds' a moron will come out of the wood work and hassle me.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 02:29:35 pm
So far aroung the 'Burgh (Pittsburgh) I've lucked out.  Everyone who's had anything to say about the bike (and Matt told me when I bought it at L & L in Hubbard, OH that I'd better figure on adding about 10 minutes whenever I stopped for gas or shopping to my usual time 'cause people would want to ask me about it) has said something like "Geez, that looks like a motorcycle SHOULD look!" or "What izzit?" or "That's really sweet lookin'!  Where'd ya get it?  How much time didja spend restoring it [They always think it's a restoration, rather than a new bike because it hasn't a piece of junky plastic on it anywhere]"  When I tell 'em it's an '08 model of a 1955 bike that has never stopped being produced, they want to know where I got it from.  I must admit that owning one of these lil' things is a blast.  I bought mine even after a Beemer friend who's a mech called 'em a piece of junk 'cause his shop worked on an older one and just because it had very heavy grease in the gear case and, I think he said, felt oil seals or something like that.  I didn't figure that was any reason not to buy a real motorcycle instead of one of the latest plasticized assticized  ::) things that parade themselves as bikes but look like wierd interplanetary vehicles hiding everything but their wheels.  I own 3: an R1200RT Beemer, an '07 Bonneville Black, and, of course, the Classic British Racing Green '08 Iron Barrel Enfield... and of the 3, the Enfield's the most fun to ride! ;D
So howdy back from Pennsylvania!  Enjoy!
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.