Author Topic: C5 bars, end weight removal  (Read 3401 times)

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:26 pm
I did a quick search, and read a few posts, but I didn't see an answer to my problem. Hopefully someone can give me direction. I have a 2011 C5, and I want to remove to bar end weights, for bar end mirrors I just recieved. I'm talking about the internal weights.

I removed the outer weights and allen bolts.The internal weights look like they're simpy pressed in, maybe with some sort of locking compound? I tried pulling them out with a 5lb. slide hammer, didn't budge. I also tried turning the allen screws all the way in and applying force, to see if I could get them to twist. Again, didn't budge.

I have alot invested in the mirrors, and I'm going to use them. The mirrors are keyed to their bar inserts, so I can't simply mount them to the existing weights. I guess bottom line, if I can't get them out without destroying the bars, I need new bars. Like I said, hopefully there's someone here with a simple solution.
'11 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:23:17 pm
Those aren't internal weights, they're welded on ends.  They're permanent.  Further, without the bar end weights the bars buzz like crazy so you might not want to get rid of them.

What kind of mirrors are you trying to mount?  Napoleons?

Scott
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:26:13 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:47:00 pm
http://classicpartsltd.com/830-halcyon-bar-end-mirror.html

I have a set of these that just came in. I love the style & quality is top notch. I can buy new bars, they're cheap enough. I was just hoping not to have to tear everything down.
'11 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:12:04 pm
Ah!  Those are beautiful!  I've been thinking about a set myself.

Can you just slide off those three keyed mounting pieces leaving the mirror?  If so, just get a long bolt and bolt the mirror outside of the existing bar end weight.  It looks like that may leave a slight gap due to the notch in the mirror but that's nothing to worry about.

Oh, and for giggles go for a short ride with no mirrors or bar end weights.  I think you'll see their value.

Scott

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:21:31 pm
I was hoping to do exactly that, but the mirror base is keyed to the 3 piece insert. The bolt is also a bit smaller in diameter. The mirrors are great, "Made in England" boldly cast into the arms, all stainless too, so I thought the weight might help a bit. I may be able to have a millwright at work machine the mirror base flat, and open the mounting hole for the bigger Allen bolt, but I hesitate to mod the mirrors over buying a $25 set of bars.
'11 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:53:49 pm
I'd feel the same, no reason to destroy a fine item like that.

Go to your local moto shop and find a set of handlebars with the "European" bend.  They're all pretty much the same but sold as different brands, Bikemaster, etc.  This bend is pretty close to the C5 stock bars and runs about $20-25.  If you can't get it locally order one online.

I think even with the insert but without the bar end weights you'll get a lot of vibes.  If you find that objectionable then take the mirrors to you machinist and shave off the key.  Then you can mount them to your stock bars with the weights.  I did this with my Napoleon mirrors and it's great.  All that weight way out on the bars really smooths things out.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:50:51 am
My Napolean mirrors have an 8mm bolt that screws right into the bar end holes through the weights. Have to go with the removal of the inserts and try installing the mirrors without them.
You really don't want to remove those weights. The vibration is terrible. Ask Jack Leis.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:18:13 am
There are also these things ...

http://www.barsnake.com/

I also recall reading somewhere about using the active dampening technology fitted to noise cancelling headphones to reduce mechanical vibrations in things like handlebars but have not come across a commercial product.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 02:19:20 am
   Yep, my G5 was delivered with barend mirrors and the dealer decided I didnt need the weights. He was WRONG . The vibration was horrible and made made my hands ache after about 20 minutes of riding. Bare asked me where are the weights and it all came together. I thought it was just my old frigen hands. Went back to the dealer, they gave me a pair and man, those babies made a difference like nite and day. Please keep your weights on your bars, you'll be glad you did.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Ozinwa

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 01:36:07 am
Today I installed my Halcyon 820s, having read what others have and or haven't done I decided to modify my bar end weights for smoother looks and less vibration. I machined out the center to end of the weight and then drilled the center hole on the mirror to accept the original bar end weight bolt.
61 T20s
08 Stella W/ hack
09 C5 Maroon

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 01:50:05 am
Wow, very nice. You should offer that as a professional service.  :)
'11 C5 Military

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:02 am
   Great job ! Very impressive .
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 02:01:12 am
Wow, talk about doing a job the right way!  Really nicely done.  Great choice of paint on the bar ends to make it all flow. 

Let us know what you think of the mirrors once you've had them on for a while.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 05:15:02 am
Today I installed my Halcyon 820s, having read what others have and or haven't done I decided to modify my bar end weights for smoother looks and less vibration. I machined out the center to end of the weight and then drilled the center hole on the mirror to accept the original bar end weight bolt.

As Scott said, job well done
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies