Author Topic: 2008 REunion in Minnesota  (Read 20852 times)

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 07:14:18 am
Leonard

From your report it doesn't sound like there were a alot of REs there. Do you have a head count?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 02:28:52 pm
I'm sure CMW will have a report in a newsletter but here is my reccolation..........
1 My 2004 Sixty-5 from Kansas
2 Ron from Minnesota on the blue 1999
3 Bob Bezin from Wisconsin on a 2006 (I think) red Deluxe
4 the guy from Chicago with the sidecar and three kids
5 CMW's 570cc

Bullet owners that choose to ride a Harley - a guy from Detroit

Not a big turn out and folks are missing out on a great time.  You get a chance to talk face to face with people you speak to on the phone and see post on the forum.  When you are used to being the only Royal Enfield around it's great fun to ride with others.

Leonard

From your report it doesn't sound like there were a alot of REs there. Do you have a head count?

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 03:03:35 pm
Bullet owners that choose to ride a Harley - a guy from Detroit
Leonard

The beatings continue!

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 03:10:50 pm
I'm looking forward to the rally on the river. Starting to get my gear together for the trip would really like to ride with you Lenard if you don't mined. we should hold a planning session as it gets closer.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 06:02:51 pm
Sure, sounds like a plan.

I'm looking forward to the rally on the river. Starting to get my gear together for the trip would really like to ride with you Lenard if you don't mined. we should hold a planning session as it gets closer.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 07:24:01 pm
Here is the link to the pics I took at the rally,

http://tinyurl.com/5jlsmj

My ISP has had my photo stuff out of order for almost a month. Thats why it took so long to get these baby's up for viewing.
I'll be sending my ride report to Geoff as soon as I get a chance so it can be in the news letter should he choose to put it in there.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 12:26:08 am
Nice pics. 

Thanks for a little vicarious travel. 

Jerry

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 04:30:31 pm
I for one was disappointed to see a Harley from the Detroit area painted up to try to look like an  Enfield, but I guess people will do anything to fit in. I am also looking forward to the Rally on the River.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 06:02:32 pm
I for one was disappointed to see a Harley from the Detroit area painted up to try to look like an  Enfield, but I guess people will do anything to fit in. I am also looking forward to the Rally on the River.

You just might be seeing the HD in Mo. again.
After I replaced the rings last month (the reason I didn't ride the Bullet to Mn.) I started hearing a ticking in the top end. I played around with the pushrod adjustment to no avail.
Then I put a bore scope in through the sparkplug hole and I could see that the piston was hitting the exhaust valve ever so slightly.
So that leads me to think that either the rod is stretching or the head of the piston is getting ready to separate.  With over 15K on that head,valve,piston combo that I have to start doing that now concerns me. Since I'm planning on running this motor for the rest of my life I would hate to grenade the bottom end doing something I knew I shouldn't do.
Today I'm pulling it apart and putting a new cylinder and piston on and will test it out with some clay to see how close the valve is getting to the piston. If it's still hitting I'm riding the HD out there because I'll never get my crate motor broke in before then.
Either way I'm going to paint my Enfield up to look like the HD and ride it to both REunions next year for sure!

1972 FLH "Sambo"

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 06:22:11 pm
While anything is possible it seems odd to me that piston is hitting the valves. I could be wrong (please don't tell my wife) but it would seem to me that the rod and or piston would have to really stretch to do that. I would think that the small end of the rod would become oval before the rod stretched. Is it a stock piston? Any high lift cams?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 07:03:17 pm
Stock piston and cams.
Kibblewhite valves.
I even have the new style cylinder base gasket that is about twice as thick than the original ones were (before install).
It's hitting just a bit just outside the relief cut into the piston. I could hog out the relief just a bit and run it but I want to find out what is happening in there.
When I replaced the rings there was no noticeable slop in the big end but I didn't even think to look at the little end.
It's all OK though because I enjoy turning wrenches on my baby, just need a good excuse to get in there and "bullet-proof" the bottom end.
1972 FLH "Sambo"