Author Topic: Picking up a new UCE G5.. what to look for..?  (Read 8873 times)

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:31 pm
My 2011 C5 came with front & rear tubes, brake/clutch/throttle cables (4 total), can of touch up paint, and a wrench (?), all in an enfield box. The tool kit was installed on the bike already. I know my owners manual actually has a page listing these items, telling me to make sure my dealer included them. If you have a new bike and they wheren't included I'd ask for them, you're going to need all of them at some point, no sense in paying for them twice.

I will say, it is nice to have a friendly, honest dealer. Makes owning the bike that much more enjoyable.
'11 C5 Military

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 07:29:58 pm
vishuonline

To do an oil and filter change you will need a 8mm and a 19*mm wrench.
The 8mm should be in your tool kit but the 19*mm is lacking.

While talking about tools, now would be a good time for you to invest in some of the basic ones and because you will need a 19*mm wrench you should consider buying at least a set of open end/box end metric wrenches.
This should include sizes from 10mm to 19mm and will probably cost about $20 if you have a Harbor Freight around.
A 8" adjustable wrench is also very handy to have.

A little write up I did about changing your oil is in this link
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10782.0.html

There was a time that the new UCE engines oil filter some loose spring loaded pieces under the cover and when the cover was removed a large brass washer, a O Ring between the washer and the filter and the spring would pop out as individual pieces.
Your 2010 might have this older design so watch for flying pieces.
If your bike has the revised filter cover, the brass washer and spring will be retained inside the filter cover which makes getting it back together much easier.

As for sorting out your electrical system, have a look at this post.  It deals with protecting some of your wiring from sharp metal edges and IMO everyone who owns a Royal Enfield should make these fixes.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11088.0.html

You will undoubtedly find that opening the boxes on the sides of your motorcycle will seem to be impossible.
You will insert the key and try to turn it and nothing will happen.
The trick here is to press the cover right next to the key slot towards the bike.

Under the cover at the lock there is a VERY stiff piece of rubber that is there to keep the door or cover from rattling and until it is compressed the key won't turn.
After getting the cover off I applied some grease to the little arm that engages the frames tab and it helps to make unlocking the cover easier but even so a little profanity is often needed.

* edit- 19mm was 17mm
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:28:23 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 07:43:56 pm
Anything in particular to watch out with stock tires..?

They ain't called Skid Masters for nuttin'. They will put you down if you try to go very fast. Be careful, or replace them with K70s. The front wheel would lock up under reasonably hard braking and push or wash out on those mountain road curves of which we have a few around here.

The chain is another short-lived item. Keep an eye on it and keep it lubed and adjusted. Don't let it destroy your sprockets. You might get 6000 miles out of it.

The rest of the bike is actually quite decent. Spray it down with some ACF-50 an anti corrosion coating. The bike tends to have some light coats of paint and chrome here and there. This stuff will stop the rust.

And lube your cables before you go too far. I use Dri-SLide with a little touch of grease on the ends. I haven't needed the freebies yet.

Bare
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:48:28 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:39:14 pm
The Avon Road Riders that came on my C5 are great. I understand the Speed Masters giving more of a vintage look to the bikes, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with their performance/saftey issues.
'11 C5 Military

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 05:21:06 am
My 2011 C5 came with front & rear tubes, brake/clutch/throttle cables (4 total), can of touch up paint, and a wrench (?), all in an enfield box. The tool kit was installed on the bike already. I know my owners manual actually has a page listing these items, telling me to make sure my dealer included them. If you have a new bike and they wheren't included I'd ask for them, you're going to need all of them at some point, no sense in paying for them twice.

I will say, it is nice to have a friendly, honest dealer. Makes owning the bike that much more enjoyable.

well i called him (dealer) he acted like he never heard of such a thing. he said he will check on it. do these spares come with the bike in the crate??  i was more then fair on the final price so its not like i nickle and dime'd him.

btw arizoni my oil drain takes a 19mm sense it goes with this tread. they must of changed it.
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 05:55:11 am
Everything I listed was in a small cardboard box, with Enfield insignias all over it. I was surprised when they handed it to me, they told me they're spares that come with every bike, and they pass them on to the buyers. Later, when I read thru my owners manual, there was a page that listed all the spares, and said to make sure they where included with the bike. I would assume that they're packaged in the crate with the bike. There where also a handful of stick on reflectors in there. They said they leave it up to the customer if they'd like them installed. I had them leave them off.

BTW, my '11 C5 also has the larger oil drain plug. 19mm & 8mm where needed for the oil change.
'11 C5 Military

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 06:25:49 am
Any of you folks have a brown paper bag for me to put over my head?

Your right.  The main oil drain plug is a 19mm hex.  :-[

I'll go and revise my other posts.  :-[
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 12:33:31 pm
Yep, mine came with extra front and rear tubes, all cables, even the speedo cable, touch up paint, a big wrench and the reflectors. All this is an Enfield cardboard box.

I joked that the bike must be a real turd if they feel the need to include so many spares. The guys at the dealership have no sense of humor and did not find it funny.
Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 12:41:51 pm
Speedo cable, thats what the other cable is for. I couldn't picture it last night at work, but that's what it is. Yep, that too.
'11 C5 Military

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 02:11:52 pm
"The chain is another short-lived item. Keep an eye on it and keep it lubed and adjusted. Don't let it destroy your sprockets. You might get 6000 miles out of it..."

I wonder if it would be a good idea to have the dealer install a quality x-ring or o-ring chain at time of initial prep, and if the proper size is even available. Still on the fence whether I want to commit to a new C5 or wait for the newly redesigned Guzzi V7, which won't be here in the States til late 2012 or early 2013....
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 05:48:26 pm
To install an Oring chain on a G5 requires going to an 18 tooth sprocket as the stock 17 doesn't give enough clearance around the bearing boss. However, better non-oring chains are available. I did the sprocket change on mine and installed a Tsubaki Oring chain on mine, after the stock chain was shot with 6500 miles on it. My sprockets were still OK, and I lubed that chain every 200 miles. I would suggest using the chain as is until it's worn out, but do keep it adjusted and lubed. When you get tired of that, then consider the options between changing the sprocket for an Oring chain and sprocket, or just using a good non-Oring chain. That one would take maybe a half hour to change. To change the sprocket takes a little longer.
You have to understand that the poor OEM chain quality is not a Enfield exclusive. Most OEM chains are crap. I got less than 10,000 miles on new Triumph chains, and not much more on Honda chains.
Go for the Enfield over the Guzzi. It's a much more pleasurable ride. And a far more rare and distinctive experience. It has an attraction both just looking at, and riding, than any other bike on the market has. It is a truly glorious bike.
Bare

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:54:59 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13:38 pm
"The chain is another short-lived item. Keep an eye on it and keep it lubed and adjusted. Don't let it destroy your sprockets. You might get 6000 miles out of it..."

I wonder if it would be a good idea to have the dealer install a quality x-ring or o-ring chain at time of initial prep, and if the proper size is even available. Still on the fence whether I want to commit to a new C5 or wait for the newly redesigned Guzzi V7, which won't be here in the States til late 2012 or early 2013....

why wait?  tomorrow is NEVER guaranteed!    stock is a standerd 530 chain with a clip master link very easy to install. a good oring type chain should last way past the 10k mark with 27hp :o  oh and quit waiting on the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:21:23 pm by fzr400 »
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 06:19:58 pm
   My 2011 G5 Classic came WITH A 530 CHAIN . Check your chain size before ordering another one. Might save you some grief.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 06:22:33 pm
Yep, mine came with extra front and rear tubes, all cables, even the speedo cable, touch up paint, a big wrench and the reflectors. All this is an Enfield cardboard box.

I joked that the bike must be a real turd if they feel the need to include so many spares. The guys at the dealership have no sense of humor and did not find it funny.

boy if they come in the crate im really  >:(  its just wrong in everyway
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 07:03:42 pm

stock is a standerd 520 chain with a clip master link very easy to install.

You meant 530 chain, no?

I'd say you can keep the stock chain if you like but if you notice that it seems to need a lot of adjustment early on then ditch it and get a better one before it eats the sprockets.  A good non o-ring chain is about $35.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:15:17 pm by Ducati Scotty »