Author Topic: Connection between spark plug wire and spark plug cap  (Read 2663 times)

rickmax

• Scooter
Hey!
I have a tricky question.   I got a new Desert Storm delivered to my house.  It ran fine for a few days, then wouldn't fire anymore.   I contacted the dealer and started troubleshooting.   Seems that the spark plug wire was not connected to the cap at all.  It was just "laying" there in the rubber boot.  I made several phone calls and was told by each rep that the wire must be twisted on.  a drill shaped "pin" has to bore into the spark plug wire.   

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

thanks!
Rick
Ta ma duh!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:32:11 pm
That 'drill shaped pin' should be in the spark plug cap  Look in there and you should see it.  If it is, just press and turn and it should grab the wire and make contact.  You may need to trip 1/4" off the wire if it's frazzled.  If you see the pin has broken off in the end of the wire just go to your local moto shop and get a new cap, NGK and lots of other companies make them.  Cut the wire for a clean end and twist the new cap on.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:40:51 pm
Push the wire into the spark plug connector and rotate the connector like you were screwing it onto the wire.

A few drops of soapy  water on the rubber exterior of the wire will help it slip inside the rubber of the connector as it rotates.  Don't get it on the end of the wire.

When it starts to snug up just a little your  done.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

rickmax

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:47:34 pm
Thanks!! 
Okay, problem 2:  the wire is short.  trying to twist it on is a farce.  should I cut the tie wrap that bundles the wires under the tank?   It won't twist straight because of the shape of the cap.

Ta ma duh!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:02:08 pm
Thanks!! 
Okay, problem 2:  the wire is short.  trying to twist it on is a farce.  should I cut the tie wrap that bundles the wires under the tank?   It won't twist straight because of the shape of the cap.

Cut it!  Or take it apart if you can, many of the ties on this bike are meant to come apart easily and be re-used.  Get the slack you need to get the cap back on, then just tie the slack back up before you ride off.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:07:43 pm
Another nice thing to have on hand right after Blue Loc-Tite is nylon zip ties for tying wireing bundles and floppy saddle bags into place. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

rickmax

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:56 pm
I really 'preciate it!!
I'll give it a whirl!!
Ta ma duh!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:24:31 pm
Hard plastic plug caps have an internal resistor.
 Substituting a plain automotive metal end and rubber boot should be avoided on bikes that have electronic ignitions.

Please do not ask me how I know this  :o
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 09:54:07 pm
+1, get a moto specific resistor type cap at the moto shop.  Thanks Ice ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 10:10:10 pm
Just trying to help a brother out like the brother have helped me. ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

rickmax

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:14:04 pm
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ta ma duh!