Author Topic: Picking up a new UCE G5.. what to look for..?  (Read 8875 times)

vishuonline

• Scooter
on: April 23, 2012, 10:26:37 pm
Hello folks,

I am looking to pick up my enfield in the coming week. Its a NEW 2010 G5 deluxe.
Given the experience of the community .. is there something that anyone would suggest I should look for particularly before thumping out of the dealership or call up the dealer and have them do something (mechanical / electrical..) before picking it up?

Or simply pay the damage and thump off and start the romance..?

best regards
May the force be strong with you.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:34:55 pm
Are you handy?  The best thing to do is go over every nut and bolt you see and make sure they are all tight.  Do it again when you get home.  And at least once or twice a week until 1500 miles.

Make sure the oil and brake fluid are good and that the tire pressurs is right.  I'm a C5 owner.  G5 people, what's the right front/back pressure for a stock G5?

And welcome aboard!

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:24 pm
I use Front 24 and Rear 28 on my G5. Could go higher, but the ride gets pretty rough.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:25 pm
Front tire = 18-22 psi.
Rear tire = 24-28 psi

My G5 was very stable with higher tire pressures like 26 psi front/ 30 rear but it rode a little hard and the tires seemed to be a little skittish.

At the lower pressures it rides smoother and the steering response is excellent.

The only negative I can think of concerning the 2010 models is the lack of a kick starter.
I seldom use mine on my 2011 but if I were buying one I would try to use the kickstarters absence as a good reason to lower the price.

Since vishuonline says it's NEW, he should know that the new Royal Enfields come with a spare inner tube, throttle cables and clutch cable plus a can of black spray paint.

Also, being a new motorcycle it should come with the 2 year unconditional warranty.
 (The dealers memory might need to be jogged to remember these things).  ;D

Its also a good idea to ask for a new oil filter because as we all know, their special and will need to be changed at 300 miles.

I guess I was lucky because my dealer also made a copy of the UCE Service Manual and the Parts List Manual on a couple of DVD's.  He had these as a PDF files so it was just a matter of a minute for him to make them.
(I know there are a lot of dealers who won't do this so it forces the owners who want them to buy them from our host but it's worth asking about anyway.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:19:38 pm
    Dont for get to use BLUE LOCKTITE on all the threads. Everything rattles when its new. And welcome to the forum !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:27:05 pm
Welcome, the 2010 G5 has got a kick starter, it was the C5 that didn't.

Regards  :)

MegaMoo

• Scooter
  • Thumping in Paradise
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:40:30 pm
Make sure that you're getting a decent discount. If it's only a matter of a couple of hundred dollars compared to a 2012 I'd be tempted to buy a later model as RE tend to make several nice little upgrades every year that could save you quite a bit of time and money in the long run.

Steve

indyogb

• .22 Bulleteer
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:02 am
I must've been lucky - I haven't found a loose bolt yet, and I'm at 1500 miles.  Maybe my dealer was a cut above?   Or, maybe, the other shoe is still waiting to fall :D.

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 12:51:57 am
No loose bolts on my heap either. But I did notice most all of the nuts are nylock self locking ones.

I am prepared though...big bottle

Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:42 am
So far I've only found one loose bolt on my 2011 G5.

It was a small bolt/nut that was down behind the rear downtube and it held the  plastic mud deflector in place.

A drop of Loc-Tite, a few turns of the wrench and all is well. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 06:53:03 am
[quote author=Arizoni link=topic=14178.msg150742#m

Since vishuonline says it's NEW, he should know that the new Royal Enfields come with a spare inner tube, throttle cables and clutch cable plus a can of black spray paint.

my NEW 11 b5 owners manual on page 54 says tools and spare kit.
says it should come with
1. speedo cable
2. clutch cable
3. Pneumatic tube for the tire

if this is true i didnt get them!  should i call the dealer and inform him of this?
or is it no longer policy,i dont wanna be a fool ???
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:30:49 am
They do, but I bet a lot of dealers just put them on the shelf since riders here may not be as handy as those in India.  I have heard of a few bikes missing tool kits and not all come with spray paint.  Cal and ask.

Scott

vishuonline

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 02:11:58 pm
I am mentally prepared for my handiness to be challenged and with an RE I am sure I will not be disappointed and I am sure at times I will feel overwhelmed. But I know I am standing on the shoulders of giants here.. so no fear.

But yet the nuts/bolts and filter check, spare goodies  and kits.. all the valuable minutiae. Thanks a bunch for all the input.

By the way, for handling oil change, etc.. any special tooling etc will come handy.. should I have them already purchased or as long as the tool kit that comes stock is there..I am OK? I have no more than the standard hammer-nail-spanner kinda  kit of the domestic needs now/then.

Also, I read something about having auto-decompression lever adjusted by the dealer on the forum.. does this apply to 2010 G5 ..?

Are you handy?  The best thing to do is go over every nut and bolt you see and make sure they are all tight.  Do it again when you get home.  And at least once or twice a week until 1500 miles.

Make sure the oil and brake fluid are good and that the tire pressurs is right.  I'm a C5 owner.  G5 people, what's the right front/back pressure for a stock G5?

And welcome aboard!

Scott

vishuonline

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 02:14:47 pm
This is a valuable one. My dealer is an old timer and have to check-make sure his memory is tight on that warranty thing. Anything in particular to watch out with stock tires..?

Front tire = 18-22 psi.
Rear tire = 24-28 psi

My G5 was very stable with higher tire pressures like 26 psi front/ 30 rear but it rode a little hard and the tires seemed to be a little skittish.

At the lower pressures it rides smoother and the steering response is excellent.

The only negative I can think of concerning the 2010 models is the lack of a kick starter.
I seldom use mine on my 2011 but if I were buying one I would try to use the kickstarters absence as a good reason to lower the price.

Also, being a new motorcycle it should come with the 2 year unconditional warranty.
 (The dealers memory might need to be jogged to remember these things).  ;D

Its also a good idea to ask for a new oil filter because as we all know, their special and will need to be changed at 300 miles.

I guess I was lucky because my dealer also made a copy of the UCE Service Manual and the Parts List Manual on a couple of DVD's.  He had these as a PDF files so it was just a matter of a minute for him to make them.
(I know there are a lot of dealers who won't do this so it forces the owners who want them to buy them from our host but it's worth asking about anyway.)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 02:39:53 pm
Welcome vishuonline! The stock tires are ok, but there are better ones out there. There are some remarks about that in the tech-tip section.
I've got a 2010 G5 too, and unfortunately the wiring is causing trouble if not taken care of. I recommend working through it once, as it's a job for trained apes and can be done in an hour. You'll find lots of info if you search the forum for "chaffed wiring" or similar.
Best regards
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl