Author Topic: Oil Filter Blues  (Read 3799 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 30, 2008, 12:07:08 am
I just got finished changing the oil, a job I dread. So many jobs that would be major work on a more modern bike -- like valve adjust, torque heads, etc. -- are soooo easy on an RE. Why oh why does changing an oil filter have to be so much trouble? I have never seen a more needlessly complicated setup.

dan_h

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:00:49 am
I don't have a Bullet so don't know where the oil filter is located.  I once had a Kawasaki KZ750 twin and changing the oil filter requred removing the shift lever and engine side cover. 

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:58:05 pm
    I believe its the Yamaha V--Star 1100s that you have to remove the exhaust to get access to the oil filters. And I hear the new BMW X-Countrys and the other models using that engine are a royal pain to replace spark plugs.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:04:04 pm
I haven't done my first oil change yet, but I have heard several complaints about it. My old BMW airhead was a pain in the knuckles too. I ended up putting on a relocation kit with a spin on filter by Schneider Machine. I wonder if that would be possible for the RE? ???
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:55:41 pm
Why oh why does changing an oil filter have to be so much trouble? I have never seen a more needlessly complicated setup.

That's its British heritage.

Can you say Amal?

michigandon

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 10:41:59 am
How do you even get the oil filter out? On my '07 Classic the pipe runs right in front of the housing cap at a 45 degree angle. Are they all like this?  ???

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 04:39:57 pm
Just did my first oil change on my 08 AVL. Pain in the A__! I have a somewhat troubling issue. The manuals all agree to drain the timing chest through this bolt on the cover, then add 200ml through the tappet to refill. Well, my cover has no such bolt that I can see. I even refered to the engine diagram in the manual and it shows the bolt just as plain as day, but my cover has a flat spot there...no bolt. Any ideas? It did appear to drain the case when I pulled the filter because an additional 200 or so ml poured out and I was able to add 200ml without overflowing anywhere.  ???
08 Bullet ES (AVL)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 01:28:04 am
 My old BMW airhead was a pain in the knuckles too. I ended up putting on a relocation kit with a spin on filter by Schneider Machine. I wonder if that would be possible for the RE? ???
My airhead was a piece of cake as was my oilhead. My F650GS is For Sale !!!I sat with the mechanic that did my 600 mile for my Classic AVL. Appeared straight forward. It was noted that some bikes had to loosen the header and rotate the pipe enough to release the oil filter. One time adjustment, I was told.

Phil
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:32:15 am by PhilJ »

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 01:56:02 am
 My old BMW airhead was a pain in the knuckles too. I ended up putting on a relocation kit with a spin on filter by Schneider Machine. I wonder if that would be possible for the RE? ???
My airhead was a piece of cake as was my oilhead. My F650GS is For Sale !!!I sat with the mechanic that did my 600 mile for my Classic AVL. Appeared straight forward. It was noted that some bikes had to loosen the header and rotate the pipe enough to release the oil filter. One time adjustment, I was told.

Phil

My airhead didn't have the "hinged" filter when I bought it and had what looked to be a home made oil cooler setup so the first oil change was a bear. I also tended to toast an arm or the back of my hand on the pipe in the process. Once I put on the spin-on filter over the right jug, it was a breeze.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 03:09:07 am
i thought the oil change was pretty easy after i found out everything can shoot across the garage  if you weren't  suspecting it   :o  lucky for me i have a floor magnet to find the parts ;D