Author Topic: Lost Kickstart & Electric Start From One Day To The Next  (Read 3205 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02:33 pm
Go figure..You know I've never use my kill switch..Not once...Maybe once to see if it worked...For some reason it has the occasional habit of switching off.... >:(

Me neither. Not on any bike I've ever had.

There's a good question. Has anyone found the kill switch necessary except on bikes where you attach a cord to your wrist so that when you DO fall down (like on scramblers or hill climbers) the engine gets Killed?
                 The twice in my life I've dropped harleys, I could barely REACH the kill switch. The engines just die after a while while the pipes are burning grooves in your leg.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 11:35:33 pm
Over the last 45 years I've used the kill switch once on my Suzuki 80, my Honda 400F and my BMW K75.

All except for the BMW were caused by dropping the bike due to wet conditions.
The BMW was due to a &#@*&%##  in a '78 Ford changing lanes into me.

None of the times I needed to use the kill switch made it easier to use than just reaching over and turning off the ignition key.
The only reason I didn't use the key is my preconditioned response to the situation was, "TURN OFF THE KILL SWITCH".

Had it not been there, I could just as easily have thought, "TURN OFF THE KEY".
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 12:03:07 am
Don;t feel bad, most of us including myself have done this. I have done it several times. Same with trying to start a UCE bike with the kickstand down.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com