Author Topic: Gas leaking from under the cap  (Read 12306 times)

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
on: April 19, 2012, 01:32:55 pm
I did a search on the forum but didn't find anything.  After riding my C-5, I'll find small lines of gas running down the tank from under the gas cap.  I'm guessing the cap vent is clogged.  Any clues on this one?  I want to get this fixed before it ruins the paint on the tank.  Thanks.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 01:56:58 pm
I had same concern with my G5.  Pressing on cap showed gasket was not tight.  I put a fairly thick O-ring under the gasket on cap.  This pressed the center of the gasket away from cap forming a bit of a cone shape that sealed better.  GA-DK

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:17:18 pm
I cut a small ring from thin cork gasket material and laid it right on top of the original gasket.  No problems since.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:24:52 pm
+ 1 for cork.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 05:58:53 pm
I think I stole the idea from Will.  ;D

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 06:16:08 pm
I had this happen as well last week with my G5. i rode around on some errands, got home and filled the tank from a  can in the shed, the gas i put in was cold, it was a cold morning, by the time i left for work it was running down the side of the tank. i figured it was just the fuel expanding as it heated up, am i correct here or is there another cause?

also brings up another question, and sorry if i'm hijacking the post, I like to figure my fuel economy, how do i fill a motorcycle tank to the same level everytime?
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 06:20:05 pm
It was more likely just the usual sloshing around of fuel in the tank coupled with a less than perfect seal.  No expansion required to explain this.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 06:52:31 pm
"how do i fill a motorcycle tank to the same level everytime?"

Here's a tip which always works for me -
 Put the nozzle in the tank and squeeze the trigger  -  
 When the tank is full, stop squeezing.  
 Repeat next time....  ;)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 06:54:14 pm
I did a search on the forum but didn't find anything.  After riding my C-5, I'll find small lines of gas running down the tank from under the gas cap.  I'm guessing the cap vent is clogged.  Any clues on this one?  I want to get this fixed before it ruins the paint on the tank.  Thanks.

I had used O-rings underneath rubber seal of gas tank cap and no leaks since then.  Pictures and details under thread "New G5 Owner Minor Problems Fixed" that was started by GA-DK.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,9250.0/all.html

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:58:31 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:07 pm
When you press down on the cap when done filling, it should click twice to seal. Took me a few times to get that sorted out, if only one click it would leak. I'm guessing I was only engaging one side of the latch mechanism.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:54 pm
also brings up another question, and sorry if i'm hijacking the post, I like to figure my fuel economy, how do i fill a motorcycle tank to the same level every time?

Put it on the center stand. Stick the nozzle in about a 1/4" and fill it until it shuts off. The gas should be veerry (sic) close to the filler hole. Try to avoid running it over, I usually have very little overrun, if any. then you  get to see what the little tube is for. It's a drain tube for that section where the cap goes. Try to park you bike on the center stand until you've burn at a little gas out. I have, on a rare occasion, had some gas come out of that drain tube.

Speaking of gas, I did a 100 miler today out to the RE shop, and when I got back home I filled it with 204 miles on this tank. It worked out to 71 mph. My average for the  last 1900 miles has been 69 mpg. 

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 05:06:19 am
I like to figure my fuel economy, how do i fill a motorcycle tank to the same level everytime?

When you open the tank gas cap and look straight down through it, there is a longitudinally running mid rib (frame bar).  If gas level covers the midrib completely, it is too much and gas will come out when bike leans, or rides over bumps on the road.

While filling gas, I keep looking into the hole and as the level just touches the midrib close to me (rider), I stop so that there is a enough air space above the gas.  The front portion of midrib is above gas level.

PS - It is easy to scratch the paint off the midrib by hitting gas pump nozzle (as I have done clearly seen in picture below), so keep the nozzle at an angle so that it passes on the side of mid rib.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:12:57 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 05:09:49 am
Well with my B5 on its side, leaning on the front crash bar,  gas absolutely pours out the gas tap.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 05:54:06 am
I lay my Bullet on the side too.

Its the easiest way for me to get the rear wheel out for flat repair due to the panniers on my military.

Draining the fuel tank into a gas can saves the paint and fuel. If a body does not like packing rigid fuel cans, there is the folding itza can. They take up very little space when stowed.

http://www.itzagascan.com/
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 08:02:56 am
With the cork gasket in place, mine now never leaks a drop, even brim full and hammering round the twisties.  
2mm cork ring, about half inch width, greased initially, just laid over the hole rim. It soon takes on the shape and has stayed in place ever since. You can feel the cap is closing tighter with it in place.