Author Topic: Gas tank weld failure  (Read 4073 times)

corey roy

• Scooter
on: April 17, 2012, 12:50:52 am
I have a 2010 C-5 with only 1900 miles on it, and my fuel tank cracked. The weld on the left bottom side cracked along 3 inches of it's length. Gas tank patch didn't fix it. JB Weld didn't fix it. Two trips to a welder didn't fix it. JB Weld Water Weld didn't fix it. Next up is Red Kote.

My dealer is a long ways away, and at first it was easier to try and deal with it myself. If this next fix fails, I'll try for the warranty.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:57:06 am
Yes, I have read of this happening before.  There is a thread about this same problem.  The other guy got his repaired under warranty.  I will look for the thread and post if I find it.

Look familiar?

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10942.0.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:01:15 am by TWinOKC »
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:47:31 pm
You are going down the wrong track in every way here. Take it to the dealer Pronto (don't ride it). Those other fixes are dangerous and improper. You need to have the tank replaced period.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 01:40:56 pm
On the older bikes I found most of these problems were caused by the lugs being too wide for the bolt and spacers to which they are fixed. This was exacerbated when swapping over lean burn tanks for those off the earlier iron barrel models.

Adding washers as spacers to match the gap between the lugs and obtaining a snug fit avoids the stress fractures that result when the weaker of the two rear brackets is forced too far away from its natural position.

I doubt if EFI tanks are any different and whilst they might fail eventually, taking a cheap and easy precaution to preserve their service life might be regarded as a good preventative measure.

ric.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:55:16 pm
If you've got a crack in a tank of any size no coating will fix it.  Cracks tend to flex over time and will open up again.  Coatings only fix things like tiny pin holes from rust or bad welds. 

If your dealer is too far away call him.  See if you can just mail the tank in for the warranty claim.

If you want to get it fixed on your own don't go to a welder, find a radiator shop that fixes fuel tanks.  They have the experience to make them leak free and the pressurized test equipment to confirm they've done the job right.

There was a recent redesign of the tanks using a rolling spot weld since there had been issues with tanks cracking.  If you warranty it ask to get the newer style tank if possible.

Scott

corey roy

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 06:06:05 pm
Thanks for the input. It was a crack along the weld, but after I took it to a welder the leak is so small that I can't see it. I can see the gas seep out, but it spreads on the metal so I can't pinpoint it. I've already ordered the Red Kote, so I'm still going to try it.

This is the weld under the tank where it is dished out over the heads on the engine. It doesn't look like the brackets being too wide would affect that weld.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 06:33:08 pm
The Red Kote or any similar product is a secondary option at best.  Also, these tanks have paint sprayed on the inside that tends to bubble when it hits American fuel with alcohol.  This is far from an ideal surface to apply any coating.  It may peel rather quickly.

Take it to a radiator shop, they can pressurize it and pinpoint the leak.  If the rest of the re-weld is structurally sound I'd just have them braze the leak.  That will last way longer than any coating.  I had a fuel tank leak on my Ducati at the hinge point.  After I got it brazed it was never a problem again.

And I'd still take it to the dealer for warranty.  Worst case, you can put the extra tank on the shelf in case this lets go again.

Scott

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 06:55:29 pm

And I'd still take it to the dealer for warranty.  Worst case, you can put the extra tank on the shelf in case this lets go again.

Scott

+1

Its just not worth the risk brother.  A little gasoline, a little spark, not good, be safe.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 07:01:20 pm
It is ironic that we consider riding around with a tank full of explosive liquid between our legs over a running motor "fun".  Man, wonder what it's like to be a normal person :)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 07:17:19 pm
BOring!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 07:20:38 pm
Don't wait go to your dealer!  I have have had 2 tanks crack on my 2009 C5.  The problem is the space between the rear mounting tabs and frame.  I finally used some nylon washers that I could sand down to the exact width of tabs.  This allowed me to securely tighten the tank bolt without fear of putting pinch pressure on the tabs.  

By the time my tank cracked a 2nd time I was out of warranty. I used pro-seal to patch the weld.  I used to work at an airplane factory that built crop dusters.  We used pro-seal to build gas tanks and seal the seams.  Pro-seal is designed for this purpose, it will expand and contract at the same rate as the metal.  It's a  two-part compound you mix like an epoxy.  Nothing beats a weld but pro-seal is close second.  
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 07:38:41 pm
Pro-Seal looks a lot better than Red Kote, but it's still not going to stick if the inside of the tank isn't clean.  Pricey too.  Check prices for repair at a radiator shop, probably about the same.

That said, I'll bookmark the Pro-Seal site for reference ;)

Scott

corey roy

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 08:38:23 pm
Well...

Along with this tank problem, I've had the fuse between my battery and power relay blow on me several times this week. Found a pinched section of the wiring harness behind the headlight. I moved it out of the way of where it had been getting pinched, but when I went to ride it again the wiring melted. Damage was already done I guess, and moving it shorted it fully.

Replacing the entire wiring harness is beyond me, so I called the dealer, and I'm going to take it in as soon as I find someone with a truck to take me. They're going to replace the gas tank while it's there, so I'll knock out two problems at once.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:54 pm
Don't wait go to your dealer!  I have have had 2 tanks crack on my 2009 C5.  The problem is the space between the rear mounting tabs and frame.  I finally used some nylon washers that I could sand down to the exact width of tabs.  This allowed me to securely tighten the tank bolt without fear of putting pinch pressure on the tabs.  

By the time my tank cracked a 2nd time I was out of warranty. I used pro-seal to patch the weld.  I used to work at an airplane factory that built crop dusters.  We used pro-seal to build gas tanks and seal the seams.  Pro-seal is designed for this purpose, it will expand and contract at the same rate as the metal.  It's a  two-part compound you mix like an epoxy.  Nothing beats a weld but pro-seal is close second.  

+1 to pro seal especially B 1/2  :D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:22:20 pm
Sorry for your grief but I'm glad your dealer is getting things sorted.

Scott

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 10:18:05 pm
Jumping in late here, but between 2009 and 2011, there was a small change made to the rear mounting tabs, on my mates 09, he had the welds crack where the tabs meet the tank one day, while we were waiting for the truck, I checked out mine, and there is a long gusset added that is twice the length of the tab to reinforce it on the later models