Author Topic: Crack on the finned exaust clamp!  (Read 1579 times)

lptomas

• Scooter
on: April 16, 2012, 10:09:07 pm
As anew owner my first bike a 2012 c5 military has  been a breeze to ride even with the limitation of trying to break in the engine properly .i took my bike to  the shop for first service at 300 milles,told everything fine,60 miles after on a straight country road at 45mph out of nowhere a metallic ticking noise come from top of engine,matching the rpm,i stop on side of the road and check for oil leak ,spillage, level is fine,  bike is clean,i let the bike cool down hoping for a magical fix ,on a cool engine start noise is not as bad but get worse as bike warm up ,i call the shop they listen to the noise trough my phone Just to  be told to stop the engine and told to tow the bike to the shop i pushed the bike for a good miles  to reach my house and get a pickup  set up for towing on Tuesday the all week end goes by looking at the bike sitting in garage being all sad and all,sunday afternoon i give a close look at the engine and voila !there is a 2inch long crack on the exaust clamp! Could it be the origin of that noise?
I am on the edge of my seat ! Anybody around here has had any experience like this ?
My bike is not at the shop yet,but i can t stop spinning the fact in my head any idea or opinion are welcome!  By the way i Love the forum  and  the knowledge of most of the blogers .

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:19 pm
Where is the crack on the clamp? Is it deep or just look like a crack in the paint?

Along the same direction as the fins or between the finned section and the straight mounting plate?

The clamp is in two peices, if it is between the fined section and the mounting plate, that is "normal" as the lads at Chennai bolt them down quite tight and slightly deform the mounting plate doing so.

If it is in line with the fins, then that is a problem.
I dont want you to start up the engine to feel for exhaust puffs coming out of the area incase it is something more than an exhaust leak.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:17:18 pm
I agree Desi.  He should not run the engine.

Most of the exhaust leaks I've heard are more of a hard Pifft Pifft Pifft or Chuf Chuf Chuf sound.

Whatever the dealer heard over the phone must have been something pretty radical to cause him to say, " SHUT IT OFF AND PUSH IT HOME !"

Had it been a few Chuf's or  "Phitt Phitt Phitt" sounds most dealer's would have said, "That's perfectly normal for a Royal Enfield.  Ride on and don't worry about it."
 ;D :D ;)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:40:01 am
Do you have any photographs? A cracked clamp with everything else intact is a very minor fix.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:48:28 am
There might be a misunderstanding here. The original poster refers to the finned clamp and he also says it has a 2 inch crack in it. It must either travel around the unit circumferentially or he's referring to a different part. The little finned flange is hardly two inches big, if even that large.
Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:50:25 am
My thoughts as well. A photo would help to settle the 2" mystery.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 01:37:25 am
I don't see how the metallic sound could be coming from the exhaust unless it's there's something visibly rattling.  Starting with a cold engine start it up and put pressure on different parts of the exhaust with a gloved hand to try to dampen the sound out of external parts.  You have about 20 seconds before the manifold gets too hot. 

The sound you described seems like the sound my bike made at 3000 miles.  It was a metallic clatter that verged on a knock but it sounded like it came from the top end.  It was quieter when cold but got louder as the engine warmed up. The source of the noise on my bike was never discovered, though quite a few attempts were made at fixes. CMW finally put a new engine in to get me back on the road.

I've since heard of lots of cars that had clattering noise issues from hydraulic lifters that were cured with marvel mystery oil. I really wish that I tried marvel mystery oil or seafoam in the crankcase in case the lifters were gummed up.  My bike's clatter sure sounded like lifter noise but the lifters were never touched.

If you get this in time before your bike goes off to the mechanics you might want to try the marvel mystery oil.  I'm dying to know if this works for the noise you describe. Assuming it's the same noise my bike made of course.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:58:16 am by jartist »

lptomas

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 02:05:32 am
Sorry guy i am the originalposter i am a medic working a24h shift and it got hectic around here for a couple hours, so no puff coming from the clamp could be just paint like somebody said ,will try to upload picture tomorrow the sound is more like a metallic ticktock sound and can cover the exaust noize when getting louder with rpm .appreciate the feed back and will keep you informed when hopefully mistery is solved.

lptomas

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 04:15:23 am
To jartist ,the sound you describe is exactly what my bike is doing it started suddenly at out of the blue ,the crack on the clamp being ,I am guessing me trying to find something to explain it .i will find more about it tomorow.