Author Topic: B5 Handle Bars  (Read 5122 times)

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
on: April 16, 2012, 08:10:52 pm
Ok so I am thinking away at things I want to change or add to my girl when I get her back. Handle bar change is one of the biggest things popping out at me. I love the stock bars but my back sometimes doesn't enjoy them as much as the eyes.  I had put a similar pair on my 1974 CB550 to replace the mini ape hangers on it. The ones I put on came off of a 1980 Honda 110 3 wheeler. Ok back to my question (I have ADHD seriously) would say something like the stock handle bars on a G5/C5 help reduce the amount of leaning forward or sitting closer to the tank? I want to be able to kick back and ride. Would I have to change out all the cables?  I wonder how it would look with that style of bar on there?
Signature

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:55:02 pm
I changed my bars to set that had about a 4" rise and teh same width as the stock ones (28"). It brought the bars above the tank so I wasn't worried about them getting into the tank if I dropped the bike. They were more comfortable than the stock ones, too. They were about $20 from Chaparral.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:26:36 am
I like the looks of that. I was looking at the 50's style handle bars in the nfieldgear catalog but I didn't see any risers listed in the book. The B5 stock bar is different then the G5/C5 it reminds me a lot of the old CB550 stock (the ones I put on was almost the exact same as stock).  I wonder how many inch riser I would need if I went with something like that. I guess I need to talk to the dealership once they finish my bike. It would be awesome if they have a stock G5 handle bar laying around I could kinda put it up there to get an idea of how it would look.
Signature

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:06:31 am
Do want bars like these?

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:25:52 am
I thought the B5 bars were higher than the G5 bars.

I think the bars are 7/8"? which are pretty standard.  Enduro bike bars would work too.  If you have a bike shop that has aftermarket stuff they might have bars on stock.  You would just have to make a small hole on each side of the bar for the anti-rotation tabs on the controls.

That bike looks great, Garbone!  Those bars look right too!  Seems like it sould be easy to get something like that for the B5
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:31:26 am by jartist »

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:48 am
another option is trials bars

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:04:17 am
Something like that would do it.  How ever I was looking at the 50's style bars onpage 67 of the NFieldGear - Royal Enfield Parts and Accessories - Volume II or the Classic Wide Handle bars picture above the 50's style handle bars.  I wonder if I would need a riser and if they would reduce the amount of stretching or leaning forward when I have my little rear end sitting all the way back in the saddle. I could just scoot up closer to the fuel tank but I don't want my dangly bits hitting metal when I hit a bad patch of tarmac.
Signature

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:29:11 am
honestly the OEM bars are best suited for city ride, as they give you a more commited stance on the bike, to go about weaving through the traffic, just like on a sports moto.

There is model called Electra (see RE INDIA web site). Although this model is limited to India, but its handle bar is pretty comfortable, has about 4-5 inches of rise and can be pulled back, to sit straight on the bike for more comfortable cruising, that too without any change in the cables. If this could be matched with lower seat (without the springs), nothing like it :-)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:59:31 pm
All you need is a pair of 7/8" bars. There are a ton of them on the market. You certainly don't have to use RE bars. And you can probably get some that suit you for $20.00 or so.
Sorry, Nfield Gear, but when you start customizing sometimes there better is stuff to use.
But I still try to get it from you first.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:40:39 am
+1.  Pop by your local big moto shop and check their selection.

Scott

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:51 am
Maybe some trials bars, like Bill Harris has on his bike in this photo?

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/gallery/583_24_07_11_7_34_34.JPG

Since the RE mount is further back than the forks it's probably a pretty relaxed position.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 05:22:03 am
honestly the OEM bars are best suited for city ride, as they give you a more commited stance on the bike, to go about weaving through the traffic, just like on a sports moto.

There is model called Electra (see RE INDIA web site). Although this model is limited to India, but its handle bar is pretty comfortable, has about 4-5 inches of rise and can be pulled back, to sit straight on the bike for more comfortable cruising, that too without any change in the cables. If this could be matched with lower seat (without the springs), nothing like it :-)

Yeah I admit that the stock is great for city riding but I live out in the country where I tend to do a lot of getting lost riding around on the prairie riding or river roads. I was thinking that my XJ650 would be my peppy runner or poker run bike while my B5 would be more of my every day ride and my kick back and chilll bike. I love the inline four in my 1982 XJ650J Maxim when I want to get on it but I am much about the zen like feeling of just riding on and on with no real destination. The xj650 I guess is capable of it but to me the B5 is better suited for that kinda riding. With the xj I feel like I should be in a hurry and I am not for sure why. I got the big cattle catcher Airfly  crash bar for my B5 and the head light visor come on how can you not want to just chill out and cruise on that sexy machine?
Signature

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 06:09:20 pm
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/performance.html?p=4

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow!

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 11:21:10 pm
brashrooster: I like your thinking...sounds like you have it figured out with a plan..Looks like you going to add a bit of fun to your stable..Good luck..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 05:13:20 am
Do want bars like these?

Looking for those bars
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.