Author Topic: kick start pawl replacement  (Read 6920 times)

JordanMix

• Bulleteer
on: July 26, 2007, 03:45:46 pm
so i went out last night to go for a ride and my bike wouldn't start, after about the 5th try i lost all resistance on my kick start. After doing some research on line i am pretty sure that it is the kick start pawl.  I just ordered the Snidal book, i know that i need a new pawl but what else should i purchase to do this repair? like the spring, plunger bolt? anything... also what gasket will i need, i see that there are alot of different ones listed in the store but the description is vauge and without knowing the part number that you need it seems to be a bit of a guessing game. I have a 1999 500 bullet deluxe, 4 speed kickstart only that was made for North America.

I recently purchased this bike without having any prior experience with a RE and no local community or friends with RE... are there any other books i should pick up other than the Snidal manual?

thank you

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 05:01:39 pm
Pete's manual is a good one. I'd recommend you check here http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/books-manuals-mixed-media-manuals-mixed-media-c-1_16_52.html

for any manuals that cover your model.

They seem to all be a little different, so the more references you have, the better!

Good luck,
Matt

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:35:44 pm
Usually when a Royal Enfield kick start pawl goes bad, it acts like the kickstarter is "missing" occasionally. What it amounts to is a chip in the pawl which misses the gear that it engages in. If it was doing this prior to your failure this is most certainly what it is. Another cause can be the small spring and plunger which extends the pawl. Once in a while it will get gummed up or stuck and does not allow the pawl to extend. In either case the inner transmission cover needs to come off. Pete Snidals book http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/books-manuals-mixed-media-manuals-mixed-media-c-1_16_52.html is a good one. I am of the opinion that the more manuals I have the better. It seems that what subjects one covers well the other misses, so several manuals are helpful. I can also reccomend the parts book which not only gives you part numbers but has some VERY HELPFUL digrams and exploded views. They can all be found at the link above. the only gasket you will need is part number 144627 which is for the inner  cover. You may also want a new tab type lock washer for the main-shaft nut. It is part number 111092. don't forget the proper lubricant. Pay careful attention to how you disassemble the shift operating ratchet mechanism inside the outer transmission cover. It is easy to forget and then assemble it wrong. This is a good chance to clean out any old lubricant which may be caked around the inside of the transmission. the only other thing you really need to know is that the nut on the end of the transmission mainshaft which has to be removed is LEFT-HAND THREAD.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com