Author Topic: It's Electric!  (Read 11153 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 05:22:17 am
However, these contraptions they are trying to pass off as viable transportation, just aren't. It's not that I dislike them, per se, I just don't think the point of development at this time is a worth even considering unless you have a lot of many to waste on an impractical vehicle.

Really?  You don't dislike them?  You've waxed poetic about the limited range of them repeatedly, when the bike in question is designed as a motocross race bike and offers potential performance increases within its intended use.  And it happens to do great city duty, as well...  No one has said it's designed for range, since the designers looked for a context where electric was an advantage rather than a liability.

And gas vehicles were, for some time, an impractical rich person's toy compared to a viable, logistically practical horse and/or buggy.  Saying they shouldn't be developed because they're not yet practical is kind of funny.  You've gotta start somewhere.

These guys aren't missionaries for some green electric gospel.  They're riders looking to build an innovative bike.  It's not a Prius.  It's a vehicle designed to be outstanding within its intended scope of use.  As soon as "electric" is mentioned, however, people begin scowling and doubting.

I do understand...the South Park episode where the Prius owners cause "Smug" pollution is well-written and only slightly exaggerated.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 08:23:14 am
Thank god it's not a Prius, I could really rant about that POS!!!

And the smug bastards that drive them!

;D
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 02:58:35 pm
Prius - My friend loves his..Actually his son got his hands on it and doesn't want to give it back due to gas prices......I opted for a new  15k Hyundai accent 4 years ago which is averaging 34 mpg for everyday local driving...I still see alot of people driving huge vehicles and they don't seem to mind the fuel increases. At the time hybrids were close to 30 k, so I figured I wouldn't see 15k in gas savings over the life of ownership..We'll see  on that .The 2012 accent thas  improved its gas mileage by 2 mpg ..Their are smaller non hybrid vehicles with smaller engines that  are now averaging 40 mpg...I'm surprise that a smaller hybrid vehicle  isn't  in the works that could average 60 mpg...
I read last week , that a small company had engineered a 4 cyl engine that utilized a complementary piston/cylinder that utilized unspent fuel ..Claims of possible 60  + mpg were attainable..
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 05:46:49 pm
Thank god it's not a Prius, I could really rant about that POS!!!

And the smug bastards that drive them!

+1

It's not the electrics I hate. It's those damned ugly boxes they put them in!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 07:08:36 pm
It's not the electrics I hate. It's those damned ugly boxes they put them in!
Bare

At some point in time someone decided that a wedge of cheese was the optimal design for electric cars.  Shouldn't they all look like Lamborghinis if they are going for aerodynamics?  

At least the bike companies are trying to make stuff look cool.  Wish this thing came in out in a 500cc like my old V4 Interceptor.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:12:56 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 02:15:45 am
What about this? this is cool ;)

... and lots of room for batteries

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 03:32:42 am
A large capacitor with 2 wheels..should work out okay for what we have in mind.. :D

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 05:44:52 am
A large capacitor with 2 wheels..should work out okay for what we have in mind.. :D

Mr. Fusion or is someone going drag racing ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 08:23:19 am
I rode some electrics just a little while ago.  Pricey but very impressive.  Once battery technology gets a little better and a lot cheaper they'll start catching on.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/2012/02/quick-ride-zero-motorcycles-zero-xu-and.html

Oh, and saw this at the auto show this year, made in my home town.  More of a toy, governed to 30, but you can keep it in your apartment with no fumes.
http://www.boxxcorp.com/

Scott

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 08:31:17 am
Prius - My friend loves his..Actually his son got his hands on it and doesn't want to give it back due to gas prices......I opted for a new  15k Hyundai accent 4 years ago which is averaging 34 mpg for everyday local driving...I still see alot of people driving huge vehicles and they don't seem to mind the fuel increases. At the time hybrids were close to 30 k, so I figured I wouldn't see 15k in gas savings over the life of ownership..We'll see  on that .The 2012 accent thas  improved its gas mileage by 2 mpg ..Their are smaller non hybrid vehicles with smaller engines that  are now averaging 40 mpg...I'm surprise that a smaller hybrid vehicle  isn't  in the works that could average 60 mpg...
I read last week , that a small company had engineered a 4 cyl engine that utilized a complementary piston/cylinder that utilized unspent fuel ..Claims of possible 60  + mpg were attainable..

All that ignores the VERY harmfull effect of the mining of rare earth metals, shipping stuff right around the world to process the stuff and back around for assembly.

That's never quoted in this UN-greenest of vehicles. Then there's the disposal after it is no longer working. It's all a big con.

I'd rather stick to my30 year old Landrover. Althought it's not fuel efficient is is more recycleable and lasts for ever. Just bought a fuel pump kit for it £5!!!

Google Prius, they're costing us the Earth!
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 02:24:19 pm
Lwt  Big Cheese: Well there alot to be said about maintaining a paid off 30 yr vehicle...I have a 29 yr old f150 truck , straight six with a 4 speed, no air, roll up windows,  sitting in the driveway.  Just replaced the battery...It has the typical weeping at the seams for a vehicle that old and I really should replaced the valve and oil pan gaskets (No dripping yet),,,You can;t kill the beast...Environmentally challenge I would say is the buzz word as it probably only gets 12 mpg...

Isn't their a big beef going with China regarding rare earth policies and trade...No free lunches as you have suggested.  I haven't seen many (if any) EV out on the road yet..They won't sit for too long as I suspect they'll become fleet vehicles for the Feds in certain locales..It would be nice to see some realisitic infrastructure in place to support the idea to the general public...

I think you would kinda cool and smug with the beard blowing out the window in your new Prius drinking a herbal  tea infused latte... ;D

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 05:18:49 pm
A large capacitor with 2 wheels..should work out okay for what we have in mind..

That's what they were using on F1 cars a couple of years ago for their recyclable energy BS. I don't think they are using them this year. Anyway, it turned the whole car into a capacitor. You did not want to touch the car when standing on the ground! It was a 400 volt zap! But it was worth about 60 additional HP for several seconds. The electric motor that supplied the extra horsepower as turned into a generator when the car was braking to recharge the system.
It was pretty unreliable.
Bare
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:21:37 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 05:50:58 pm
Perfect theory for a race car that's always accelerating or decelerating.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 09:24:55 pm
Just watched the practice for the Bahrain GP. The KERS (Kinetic Energy  Recovery System) is back after missing in the first 3 races.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 11:27:19 pm
The F-1 cars 2 years ago could use KERS as an option. 
It didn't seem to add enough power to offset the weight of the storage cells and added complexity so last year the teams that had used it, dropped it.

This year it is mandated that ALL cars will have it so they do.

Whether they choose to allow it to charge and then discharge it during each lap is left pretty much up to each team.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary