Author Topic: Finally. A motorcycle is beginning to take shape in my garage.  (Read 3615 times)

carlo

• Scooter

Trial assembly to see what kind of problems I need to address to make the Suzuki GT750 forks work.
The result? Surprisingly little. The Enfield triple clamps are about 3/16 inch narrower, so I'll have to slightly  alter the spacers on the axle. The calipers are self-centering,  so I don't think I need to shave thier mounts to make them work with the fork  legs being slightly closer together.

Of course, this is after I cut  26 tpi BSC threads in the top of the Suzuki stanchion tubes, cut  the hex head off the top plugs, and threaded  half inch pipe plugs into the resulting hole in the Suzuki plugs.

In the process, I came up with a solution about how to support the frame on my cheap hydraulic motorcycle stand so I can work  on it.

There's a footrest rod poking through the rear frame tubes, with a bar clamp holding that end of the frame to the stand.
And my solution for concealing the identity of the forks as Suzuki items.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
I'm a little bit further along than you are Carlo.  ERC 
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

carlo

• Scooter
Wow. A yellow frame. Nice.

I still have to true up my back wheel and get a tire mounted. The Suzuki  front wheel just needs a good cleaning and a tire.
Most of the other stuff is ready  to go.
The engine just needs a bit of fettling, and a good cleanup, and it can  go back in.

I have to be  done by  May 20th.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Nice !!!!!

Got more pics ?  ;)   8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Looking good!! I used a KZ900 front end (much modified) on mine.  Can't wait to see it done!
geichal

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Looking good,gentlemen...love that yellow frame,Roger...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

carlo

• Scooter
I'm a little bit further along than you are Carlo.  ERC 

After taking another look at your bike,  I'm wondering about your rear fender stay.

Looks a lot like the one that came with my Tomahawk, but has the cross-over that attaches to the fender in a completely different place, and it holds your fender much closer to the rear tire than mine. 
Is that a modified period part or a new item from the current spares catalog?

The original stay that I have does tend to hold the fender a lot higher than it should.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
HI Carlo, The side stays are off a Chief the center stays that hold the fender are made by yours truly. The fuel tank is solid brass, fenders are aluminum painted to try and match the tank front end off a Bullet, frame is a 1965 Interceptor, motor is 57 Trailblazer. A real pieces bike.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

carlo

• Scooter
Nice to know I'm not alone in mixing and matching Enfield parts.

Let me know if you want one of those aluminum blocks to bolt to the back of your transmission, I have a spare. I always thought the earlier models would benefit greatly from the extra support the Interceptor motor mounts and head steady provide.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
That's a good thought on the rear steady. How much do you want for the bracket? You can email me direct by clicking on my name. Thanks Roger

carlo

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 10:49:53 pm
I'll check what Hitchcock's wants for those. I'll  give you a price that beats theirs + no across the ocean shipping.
I have two. One needs repair to the point that attaches to the frame on one side. Shouldn't be difficult to deal with, and I could offer it for a substantial discount over the good one.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 04:46:53 pm
Let me know what you come up with. ERC

carlo

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 09:42:31 pm
Hitchcock's wants £60 for those.

That plus shipping would probably come to $150.

How about $60 for the good one, and $45 for the one that needs welding?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:35:56 pm by carlo »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 12:20:56 am
I'll take the good one, email me your address with the total with shipping and I'll send you a check or money order. When you hit ERC my email is on there. Thanks Roger

carlo

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 04:02:14 am
Ok, I'll check with the post office next week, and get back to you.