Author Topic: nfield chain tensioners  (Read 3776 times)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
on: April 10, 2012, 01:09:12 am
Has anyone used the chain tensioners that nfield gear sells on the new bikes?  How are they installed?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:13:25 am
A bunch of fellas are running them.

The adjusters flat plate part replaces the washers on each end of the axle.

Here is a thread link to just one thread.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7683.0.html
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:30:33 am
Sacrilege!

Those snail style chain adjusters go back to at least 1948 when Royal Enfield became the first production motorcycle to use a spring loaded swing arm at the rear of a motorcycle.

Yes, the number of depressions on the snails are not always equal on the left and right side when the rear wheel is aligned.  >:(
This is just a traditional part of owning a hand built motorcycle.  :)

Yes, the snail's rotating out of position while your trying to tighten the axle nuts happens without alerting you.  >:(
But that is how we learn to deal with the problems our forefathers had to endure.  :)

No one said life was easy.

These modern screw type adjusters are just one more step in the efforts to modernize the truly Classic motorcycle that Royal Enfield represents!  >:(

What next?  A disk brake?  Hydraulic valve lifters? A working electric starter motor?  An automatic compression release?  A computer controlled fuel injection?  ???

Next thing you know, someone is going to try to sell us anti-lock brakes!  >:(

Just kidding you folks. :)
Who knows?  Maybe some day I'll actually install the chrome plated snails I got from my dealer when he went out of business.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:00:32 am

Yes, the snail's rotating out of position while your trying to tighten the axle nuts happens without alerting you.  >:(

Blu-Tack  :D

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:47:21 pm
after verifying that my  snail position on both sides are accurate (generally speaking)...I found using them to adjust the drive chain easy enough...I'm assuming the tensioners are aftermarket and more a a fine tune vs coarse..Some of the fellows like them alot...I count the snail marks before and after the adjustment just to make sure..
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 05:39:09 pm
The snails on my bike have been a Royal POS. I have to clear them out past the nubs they ride on to turn them. Meaning I have to loosen the axle a lot more than I want to. Then I have to pry the axle back to get the chain tension I want, then, while holding the pry bar, get the snail back down on the nub to hold the axle there. It's a pain!.
I've had the adjusters on back order for several months. Keep wishing they'd get here! 
Hey, Arizoni, if you want to get rid of yours, I'd be happy to take them off your hands!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:10:34 pm
Sacrilege!

What next?  A disk brake?  Hydraulic valve lifters? A working electric starter motor?  An automatic compression release?  A computer controlled fuel injection?  ???

Next thing you know, someone is going to try to sell us anti-lock brakes!  >:(

And seat belts. Air bags. Cup holders. Stereo. Intercom ..................... :o..........
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:20:50 pm
Are there marks on both sides of the adjusters to help you keep the wheel straight?  Is there more adjustment than on the snails?   ???

On my bike the snail notches are not the same (on both sides) but the wheel is straight.  I always mark the notch position with a felt tip pen before making any adjustment, then move both sides an even number of notches.

2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:52:08 pm
No marks on the adjusters. You'd need to get the wheels aligned then make sure you adjust the nuts on each side evenly when adjusting the chain. And there is a lot less adjustment on the adjusters than on the snails.
I have the adjusters but haven't fitted them yet - can't be arsed to re-align the wheels. With the snails I know that the wheels are aligned when the LH snail is adjusted two more notches than the right. That said - the adjusters do allow finer adjustment to be made. The snails adjust in large increments - the chain can be looser than you like it, but one more notch on the snails and it's too tight.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:31:31 pm
I loathe the snail adjusters with a passion and fitted this alternative within 750 miles of getting the bike. The one on the right hand side is fiddly to adjust especially if you have an upswept exhaust pipe fitted, the one on the left is a doddle. You do have to be very precise to keep the wheels aligned but I rarely find they need more than one or two sides of the nut turned at any one time. You can also adjust the chain tension much more precisely to what you want than with the snail cams. Maybe no two Enfield frames are the same but unlike Will I have had no issues at all with them running out of adjustment. On the contrary, from where they are with a new chain I have well over an inch of adjustment available and I've never known a chain stretch anything like that far before replacement.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:50:14 am
S'funny. When I bought a Honda TL125 Trials bike people were gushing in their praise that the mighty Honda had thought to put snail cam adjusters on!
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 07:31:40 pm
I've had snail adjusters on several other bikes and they were great. Unfortunately, these RE jobs are a PITA. I've thought about just grinding the serrations off. They'd work a lot better.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 08:48:28 pm
   When it comes time to adjust the chain on my G5, the Serenity Prayer works for me !
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:50:38 pm by Jack Leis »
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:09 pm
As you know I replaced the chain on my G5 about 1000 miles ago.
Changing the chain was pretty easy but I had to fiddle fart around with the snails for over 20 minutes to get the right chain tension and the wheel aligned.

It seemed like getting one thing adjusted correctly automatically put the other thing out of adjustment.

Oh!  I noticed last night as I was reading one of my Royal Enfield books that the "Flying Flea" had adjusters just like the ones you guys are thinking of installing.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 12:51:38 am
I took a Dremel and put scores into the adjusters every 4 or 5 notches.  That way I know when I'm on the same notch.  Not all frames are dead straight and on some you may need to be off one or two notches side to side in order to have the wheel straight but at least you know where you are.

I tried the same thing with a Sharpie at first but that rubbed off really quickly.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:16 pm
I marked mine with a center punch. Still don't like the snails, though. Maybe for lunch, but that's another subject.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 08:08:57 pm
Nice!  Quicker and easier than the Dremel, wish I had thought of that.

Scott

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 06:02:53 pm
Still don't like the snails, though. Maybe for lunch, but that's another subject.
Bare

I hear they taste like SPAM.

::)
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:44 pm
I hear they taste like SPAM.

Not quite the same, but just as good! ;)
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 03:10:04 pm
my snails had a sort of metalic oil like taste. and too hard to chew
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 06:05:59 pm
Must've been overcooked!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 03:36:58 am
   Mine smell like tuna but taste like chicken .
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack