Author Topic: G5 sputtering a bit  (Read 13015 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 20, 2012, 02:05:56 pm
1) not starting in neutral with the N light on, until the clutch is pulled in.

It is either clutch switch that is playing tricks or your bike's Neutral Switch - which is located behind the starter motor, on the roof of crankcase.  Or the wire has disconnected or broken from either switch, as in the picture below.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:57:41 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #61 on: April 20, 2012, 06:09:03 pm
bman, remember, more people post about their problems than wonderful trouble free days.  The beauty of an internet forum is a large group of people, some of whom have probably already seen what you're seeing.  Who better to ask?

Scott

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #62 on: April 20, 2012, 09:58:32 pm
By reading this particular thread, and many others I might add, one would come away with the impression that these bikes are a bunch of junk. I just hit 3,000 miles yesterday and the only thing wrong so far is the screw holding the chain guard on fell off and I replaced it the same day with a 6mm socket head screw.

3,000 miles is nothing - I would have sworn by its reliability at that point too. Honestly, I had complete confidence in it. Just ask me what's packed up, split apart or fallen off since. You live and learn; the vibration issues are largely dealt with by not going over 60mph. But the sidestand switch, clutch switch, solenoid and sprag clutch failures are not so philosophically excused. To address the post by Bradey while I am here, going by my experience I would say almost certainly your clutch switch has had it.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #63 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:31 pm
I know you are not alone with your behaving RE.

I think the vast majority of the people who are members of this forum don't have any problems but lets face it, anything mechanical or electrical can have a problem.

Even the Toyota owners who own perhaps one of the most reliable cars made,  are asking about problems they  have or think they have.

The nice thing about the web is it allows people to ask others who have had more experience to help them if and when a problem does come up.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #64 on: April 21, 2012, 02:14:55 pm
Hey guys, don't take offence. I was thinking more about those potential owners out there who are looking at our forum to see if it is worth their hard earned money to purchase one of our machines. I'm just saying that they ARE worth it. I love my C5 and, yes, things will go wrong with it, like any other machine with moving parts. It is great to hear about what to look out for and I have gotten a lot of great advice regarding any question or concerns I may have. In fact, your guys can be not only helpful but also funny as hell as well! Keep it up because I'm never bored on these forums.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #65 on: April 21, 2012, 04:55:50 pm
Oh, no offence taken and certainly none meant towards you either.  :) Reading your post just reminded me how much I loved my bike when it had 3,000 miles on it and then of all the things that had happened since. Do I still love it? Probably, (I say it so begrudgingly!  ;D), but I certainly don't have the same regard for its build quality now. I'm not here to put off prospective purchasers who may browse this forum but I can only tell the truth as per my ownership experience too. I've read here several times from people who have contact with the factory that they take quality control very seriously. I have to say I personally am not quite ready to believe that Indian production standards are going to match Japanese or European standards anytime soon but that opinion will be tainted from my personal experience too. I acknowledge they have uprated the sprag clutch and I'm sure I've read here that there's a new wiring loom on current models too. There certainly needs to be. No offence meant at not mentioning US production standards above - I simply have no experience to draw on.