Author Topic: G5 sputtering a bit  (Read 12891 times)

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: April 18, 2012, 05:39:14 am
Thanks again ALL!!!! im taking it in to dealer im very very bad with electrical. I appreciate the help..always. thought for sure it was kickstand. Not so easy. Ill be up and runnin soon im suure! cheer

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #46 on: April 18, 2012, 02:57:32 pm
I want to disengage the side stand kill switch thingy. Is it as simple as disconnecting something? I know that others have mentioned doing this but my concern is that I'll do something wrong and kill my bike all together. As admitted many times before, I am a mechanical nincompoop. Also, about tire pressure for the oem Avons, what is the proper pressure back and front again? I know there are many opinions out there, depending what country you live in apparently, but for safeties sake, what is the proper pressure?
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: April 18, 2012, 03:16:16 pm
I want to disengage the side stand kill switch thingy. Is it as simple as disconnecting something? I know that others have mentioned doing this but my concern is that I'll do something wrong and kill my bike all together. As admitted many times before, I am a mechanical nincompoop. Also, about tire pressure for the oem Avons, what is the proper pressure back and front again? I know there are many opinions out there, depending what country you live in apparently, but for safeties sake, what is the proper pressure?

Just follow the wire from the sidestand switch up and you'll find a connector, disconnect it and tie it off.

The Avon Speedmaster/Safetymileage combo ?  18 psi front and 28/30 psi in the rear.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #48 on: April 18, 2012, 05:56:33 pm
I've since tied mine too - it separated again. There are quite a few of those connectors around the bike worth checking. I guess the clips lose their springiness.
Bit like me..... :-\ ;)

My clip was fine but the harness kept moving to a position where a left turn would press on it and open it up.

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 06:43:31 am
Saw one one that was fouling plugs in 400 yards. In the old days we would have gone right to the carb but not with EFI. It ran perfectly. I had Vikram from the factory with me. He wiggled the sidestand with the bike running and it started to spit and sputter. Turns out when it was being ridden the switch would shut off the bike off and on so quickly that the rider did not notice. Vikram told me that when the switch cuts off the engine it cuts off the electrical part but not the fuel pump. Fixed the switch, end of problem.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: April 19, 2012, 11:33:15 am
My bike does not start in neutral, but fires as soon as I pull the clutch in, what do I need to check  ???

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #51 on: April 19, 2012, 03:02:48 pm
Nothing, that's how it works.  Clutch interlock safety feature.

I disabled the side stand interlock, that will only keep me from crashing, getting hurt, and wrecking the bike.  But I kept the clutch interlock that keeps me from looking like a total dork by starting it in gear and having it lurch forward and fall over at 1mph.  The likelihood of this happening is directly proportional to how many cute girls are at the cafe you're parked in front of.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #52 on: April 19, 2012, 03:21:31 pm
I recently had the opposite - it would only start in neutral with clutch out. Wouldn't go at all with clutch in - neutral or in gear. It should start in neutral with clutch in or out, or in gear with clutch in.
New clutch switch fixed it. Simple job, 5 mins.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: April 19, 2012, 07:09:33 pm
My bike does not start in neutral, but fires as soon as I pull the clutch in, what do I need to check  ???

Check that the neutral light is ON. 

Even if bike is in neutral and wheels rotate freely, it would not start if the electric circuit for neutral light is not complete. Wiggle the gear lever slightly until neutral light comes ON, then try to start. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:23 pm
Nothing, that's how it works.  Clutch interlock safety feature.

I disabled the side stand interlock, that will only keep me from crashing, getting hurt, and wrecking the bike.  But I kept the clutch interlock that keeps me from looking like a total dork by starting it in gear and having it lurch forward and fall over at 1mph.  The likelihood of this happening is directly proportional to how many cute girls are at the cafe you're parked in front of.

Scott

Don't forget how cool those of us with kick starts look when we kick it in gear. Two choices, pull the clutch in and kick with  no resistance is a great way to put your knee out. Dont pull the clutch in and kick and go forward unexpectedly. 
Tre cool for teh chix 2C     ;)
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #55 on: April 19, 2012, 09:14:32 pm
Getting back to the original subject (what was that anyway?) my trusty mechanic Pedro says to check the relay right behind the battery.  This is G5 only since it's inside the triangle box on a C5.  It controls the fuel pump for sure and maybe some other parts of the ignition.  It's mounted with connections up so tends to get water and gook in it and corrode, giving dodgey reliability.  Give it a look.

Scott

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 08:22:59 am
sorry to rob the thread  ;D
but the bike (C5) is plagued with both issues.
1) not starting in neutral with the N light on, until the clutch is pulled in.
2) it sputters /hesitates sometimes, but only on low speeds in traffic.
There must be some issues, as she was not like this earlier (just like my wife)
Heavenly on high speeds though !!  :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 08:28:02 am
Bradey, have you tried the NGK plug?  it may cure #2.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:12 am
nope I am on a bosch ! which plug in NGK do you suggest Scotty ? BPR6ES or BPR7ES (INDIA is entering summers, temperature 35 to 45 degree centigrade).

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 01:51:45 pm
By reading this particular thread, and many others I might add, one would come away with the impression that these bikes are a bunch of junk. I just hit 3,000 miles yesterday and the only thing wrong so far is the screw holding the chain guard on fell off and I replaced it the same day with a 6mm socket head screw. I haven't even washed it yet and it's nearly a year old. It's a military so doesn't need to be washed, at least in my opinion. Just kidding! I plan on washing it in a couple of months, once the brown dirt covers a majority of the od green.
Knock on wood, I'm tapping my head right now, I love this bike for its shear simplicity. If I had to I could probably fix almost any thing on my bike short of an electrical problem. There aren't many new bikes out there that you can say that about. I can actually see the engine, imagine that!
On a side note, Progressive has road side assistance at no extra charge so if what all I hear on this site comes true, they are a phone call away. Just saying.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650