Author Topic: G5 sputtering a bit  (Read 12888 times)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 01:25:40 am
So with the small tank of the enfield you may find me lurking at gas stations and then running up to the pump that the new BMW's and such pull away from!

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 02:54:59 am
Trimleyman-
Yes, I figure ill leave it alone as well.....i new it was a matter of time before that thing failed anyways.

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 02:55:39 am
It's a good thing the Royal Enfield's don't have a knock sensor.

All of the normal "ticks" and "tacks" and "clicks" and "clacks" would drive it out of its mind.  ;D

Thanks for the help!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 06:48:26 am
..still a bit more backfire than expected since i put the EFI pipe on. Should i have to change the FI mapping? or spark plug? anything?

The stock EFI cannot quite adjust enough for the lower back-pressure of an EFI or up-swept, hence the backfire.

The cost and hassle of replacing the non-adjustable stock EFI with a mappable one just to get rid of the occasional backfire is probably not worth it.

I have wondered whether something like a Harley torque cone in the end of the pipe might add enough back-pressure to get rid of the backfire on these mufflers but I have never seen anyone try it.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 07:45:08 am
I'm planning on adding a spark arrester to my efi muffler soon. I'm curious if that will change anything and I'll report if it does. I kind of like the poop-poop- pow on deceleration.  It makes me feel like Mr. Toad from wind in the willows!

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 09:17:33 am
So with the small tank of the enfield you may find me lurking at gas stations and then running up to the pump that the new BMW's and such pull away from!

What size is your tank? I put 11 litres of petrol in mine yesterday and it had only just gone on reserve.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 04:06:37 pm
I have the efi and I love the occasional pop when it backfires occasionally. It's a rare occurance though, maybe twice a ride, so it doesn't become annoying. If it happened a lot then I'm sure I wouldn't like it. 
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 08:23:44 pm
I agree for the most part now a days.

Only in cars with fully computer managed engines have I seen in increase in fuel economy with premium in the tank.

Example my moms car with the north star V-8. The ECU controls both the ignition and EFI. It continuously adjusts mixture, advances timing and adjust timing curve to optimal settings based on the feed back from at least a shoe box full of sensors. Each cylinder has it its own knock sensor I do believe and there are at least two O2 sensors on board.

So I should probably start putting high octane in my 99 Deville eh?
Signature

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 12:02:41 am
What size is your tank? I put 11 litres of petrol in mine yesterday and it had only just gone on reserve.

I've never run it dry but I've never been able to put more than 2 gallons in it.  It's the california version with the restricted neck and vent tube mind you.

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 05:38:59 am
Well the G5 left me stranded tonight, so its not sorted at all. Ill be trucking it in to the dealer once again, first time was early on, ....1500 miles, I expect more. These should come with 3year warranties! Getting old, these electronics are crap! >:(

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 06:21:30 am
Saint45

Have you gone thru your bikes wiring and added the protection to it?

Here's a link to a post I made about doing this:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11088.0.html

Maybe I've just been lucky but so far (knock on wood) I haven't had any bad electrical problems.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 08:10:58 am
My G5 also started sputtering a bit the other day. Back home in the garage it went completely dead - no engine light, nothing. Then I found that when I turned the handlebars all the way to the right, the ignition came on! Took off the headlight and found one of the plastic clip-on connectors had come unclipped, so was only making contact intermittently. Clicked it back together and all is well.
Well worth checking in there - it's like an explosion in a spaghetti factory. I've never seen wiring like it. Ever. Except behind my computer!
Arizoni's right - it's WELL worth checking all the wiring and connectors, and protecting from chafing against metal edges.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 12:42:37 pm
With the bike running wiggle the sidestand. Could be the switch
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 02:23:44 pm
Will,

I had the exact same problem and no matter how I tried to position the wires it kept popping apart.  I eventually put a zip tie around the connector to hold it together and haven't had a problem since.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 03:32:24 pm
I've since tied mine too - it separated again. There are quite a few of those connectors around the bike worth checking. I guess the clips lose their springiness.
Bit like me..... :-\ ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)