Author Topic: G5 sputtering a bit  (Read 12892 times)

saint45

• Scooter
on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:55 pm
Awesome...What a day!
G5 is sputtering...almost like i was running out of fuel. Stopped and put some in...runs better but still sputtering. Other bike not running either, but thats a different story.
Any help would be great.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:37:20 pm
You might check the condition of the spark plug.

A new NGK BPR6ES spark plug might make all the difference.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:10:48 pm
Water in the gas?  I've had it before.  It was most noticeable in the morning when pulling away.  It would run great for 1/4 mile, then sputter for a bit, then be mostly ok.  I suspec it was running on what was in the line, then sucking through the water that had pooled in the bottom of the tank overnight.

Just get some gas out of the tank and into a glass jar.  Let it sit for a while and see if any water droplets form in the bottom.

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:25:20 am
New spark plug and new gas with a touch of Seafoam might just do the trick.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:51:46 pm
Yup i too have had good luck with Sea Foam for similar symptoms in bikes and autos. bittercrick
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 09:50:21 pm
saint45:

Another thing to consider if you have not already done it is to disconnect the side stand safety switch.

If the switch is slightly defective or if the side stand is moving up and down as you ride it can cause the computer to decide the side stand is down.
This will temporary kill all electrical power to the ignition.

The wiring connector for this side stand switch is located on the frame on the left side right behind the engine.

Unplugging the connector will disable the switch.

Warning:  With this switch disconnected, the motorcycle will start and run normally even though the side stand is left down.
If the side  stand is left down and you ride off of a fast drop off (like a curb) the stand will hit the ground and high side you off the right side of the bike.

Also, in my opinion, it is not a good idea to run the engine with the bike resting on the side stand. 
Most of the oil will be over in the left side case so there is a possibility of the oil pickup tube sucking air into the lube pump.

Figuring this switch was just another safety device that could fail at a moments notice and I could live without that sort of problem I disconnected mine several months ago.

So far I have made it a point to always raise the side stand before I turn on the key to start the bike so my bike hasn't been down yet.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 03:13:41 am
Arizoni-
Now that you mention it...That was acting strange the other day...Ill check it as soon as I can. Wanted to disconnect that thing anyway. Im used to older bikes that dont have these "dummy features". Thanks to everyone that responded....love this forum.  :P

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:23:46 pm
Do any of you use premium gas? I have been told by a mechanic friend if mine that I should so the last tank fill up I did. He says that it can't hurt and swears that it will help. Opinions?
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 08:30:36 pm
Yer bullet was built in India, which means that it dont like that fancy stuff. ;) Not being an engineer or mechanic, i cant give you the technical jargon but i know that others have said not to use premium. I myself travel a little out of my way to get "real" gas but dont use anything higher than 89 octaine.

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:03:00 pm
Just because it was made in India doesn't mean that high octane will be BAD for it. After all, your typical Indian rider loves to low rev these things which we would never do here. I spent over a year there and was amazed at how they love to hear that sound when pulling low with torque, even with two people on it.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 09:44:12 pm
Why would running high octane be bad?  Truth be told, if there's no pre-ignition you will make more power on lower octane fuel but I can't see where high octane would do any harm.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:37 pm
I have mostly used regular gas but recently started using High Octane to experiment and it seems that engine is happier either due to some reduction in pre-ignition or it may be just in my head :D.

I have stopped buying generic gas from Quick Fill type gas stations after I had bad experience with my car some years back. Mind you there are lots of riders who use them all the time. I prefer major brand names such as Shell or Exxon - I want to try Chevron but don't see their gas stations around.

But bike will run on anything as long as the gas does not have moisture or gas is not too old.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 11:25:00 pm
Some food for thought regarding high octane gas, don't know for sure the validity of the argument but the gas stations don't sell as much premium so it could be sitting in the tanks longer and be more prone to picking up moisture.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09:53 am
They may sell less but most  sell plenty to cycle the tank. So long as it's a busy station this doesn't matter.  Especially since so many people think premium is somehow better even when they don't need it.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 12:19:41 am
Not sure why ...

but the Sydney RE dealer swears the UCE bikes will foul plugs less on higher octane

... just saying.