Author Topic: Oops - dropped something in the crankcase!!  (Read 11770 times)

Ociralat

• Scooter
on: April 06, 2012, 06:57:22 pm
I'm almost embarrassed to post this request, but I did something really stupid and now I need some advice. I was going to add some oil to my 2008 Bullet ES AVL engine and the little plastic tube extension on the funnel I was using slipped off and slid right down the oil fill opening into the crank case. I can’t see down into the crank case through the fill opening, so there doesn’t seem to be any chance I can grab it with long tweezers to pull it out.  Is the only solution going to be a complete engine disassembly?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:25:06 pm
No worry's mate.

You might could go fishing with a spring finger a.k.a. spring loaded retrieval tool like this
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PROTO-Flexible-Retrieving-Tool-5C591?Pid=search
No matter where you go, there, you are.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:30:15 pm
You can try just draining the oil and it may come out with that. If you have a spray gun, you could spray solvent down into the engine and see if that'll wash it out. On the other hand you can run the engine and that should take it eventually take it over to the screen and you can drain it there. It probably wouldn't hurt the engine if you left it in there, but no guarantees on that. It should just settle in the sump until you changed oil.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:30:41 pm
Are you any good with chopsticks?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 07:36:19 pm
You can get a "pickle grabber" for under $5 to fish it out. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:38:25 pm
If you dropped it into the oil fill opening it's not in the crankcase it's in the oil tank.
Probably wouldn't hurt a thing just leaving it in there but if you like me it would bother me every time I looked at it. One of those pickup tools like Bare was talking will get it out eventually. Just work on it every now and then until you get it and don't beat yourself up too bad.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:30:17 am
Pick the bike up.

Turn it over.

Shake vigourously.

Do this naked else your clothes will get oil soiled. And prefereably shouting obcenities at the top of your voice.

Get the whole process videod and put on here.

None of that will help, but it will give us all a laugh.

;D
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:32:50 pm
 ;D ;D ;D ;D.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:10 pm
Do this naked else your clothes will get oil soiled.

Still thinking about that Mazola party eh ?
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:07:52 am
Almost.

Once upon a time, when I was in the RAF, we had to change a temperature senser in an hydraulic oil tank.

So my oppo carefully unscrewed the sensor from the tank...   only to find that it wasn't retained by a captive nut! It was loose and fell off, down into the bottom of the tank!

So now oil was spurting out over the floor. I acted like the little Dutch boy and put my finger in the dyke. Mmm that doesn't transanslate well!

My mate ran off to get another nut as we couldn't reach the original.

He was away ages. I started to cramp up. I moved position slightly, but slipped on the spilt oil. I'm on the floor with warm hydraulic oil puring over me. Mmmmm....

So when he came back and we finished the job I had to go and shower. We had no facilities in the section so I had to take a paper cup full of swarfega back to the accomodation block It was a scottish winter and bludy cold.

But it was well worth the wait to run a shot shower and rub ice cold swarfega all over my naked body...

;D
May contain nuts.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 12:41:39 pm
Oh great.  Now I have to remove my brain and scrub it with a wire brush. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 04:33:51 pm
A flashlight and some curved clamp pliers from Harbor Freight should do the trick.

Any attempt at the solution described by LWT Big Cheese will result in physical and mental harm unless your kinko-meter swings that way.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 11:13:02 pm
Ociralat
The following is just my opinion and if it is wrong I'm sure someone will point out the errors. :)

Assuming you haven't retrieved the plastic tube my advice would be to forget about it.

The oil sump doesn't have any moving parts in it and I believe the oil pump pickup has a screen (gauze) strainer to keep large items like dropped plastic tubing, big beetles, grasshoppers etc. out of the oil pump.

Even if the lost plastic tube somehow made its way out of the oil sump into an area where parts are moving, the moving parts are metal which should grind up any plastic part that has the temerity to challenge them.
The fine bits of plastic that will result will be filtered out of the oil supply by the screen and filter before the oil can be pumped into the important parts of the engine.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ociralat

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 04:34:30 am
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions (um, except for shaking the bike upside-down while naked... :P). I have tried the "pickle-grabber" to no avail, but I'm not giving up. Since I have no idea what the inside of the oil sump looks like, it's kind of hopeless to fish around inside it not knowing what (or if) the claws are hitting.  Next step will be to try the grabber again with all the oil drained out, so hopefully I will be able to "feel" around to catch hold of the tube. I appreciate the reassurance the tube will not cause any damage - that was my main concern! At least I got a new tool out of this ordeal - and with a built-in LED light no less!

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 09:20:28 am
If you'd taken my advice the problem would have been solved by now.

::)
May contain nuts.