Author Topic: Open letter to Aniket  (Read 9505 times)

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 07:45:09 pm
Could you put ACE/mondello UCE top ends on it with EFI n'all....I mean if you throw enough money at it you could, but reasonably ??

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 08:41:03 pm
It's a little too early to say right now.
It's theoretically plausible, but too many unknowns until we get a closer look at the UCE stuff. And since the UCE heads are bigger, that might present some issues about getting it all to fit into the frame and under the tank.

I like the idea, and we've even thought the same idea and talked about it, but we don't know enough about the details yet.
I know enough to say it won't be simple, but it *may* be possible with some creative work. Or maybe not.
At some point in the relatively near future, we'll know more.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:18 pm
One of my racer friends, has grafted a UCE head onto an AVL thunderbird... I need to ask him about the technical details as to why he did this and how much machining and stuff was involved.

Aniket, could you tell us what is the firing phase angle of the Musket/Cannonball?
Does the latest iteration of your design allow fitting into the regular B5 frame without chopping and grafting?

ACE, what is the inherent difference in the design/balance/reliability of a v-twin crank versus a single? I've heard of people taking Harley motors and disabling one cylinder to make it a "twingle" just to have a well balanced single - is this sense?

Great work! You have a HD killer on your hands!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 04:53:27 pm

ACE, what is the inherent difference in the design/balance/reliability of a v-twin crank versus a single? I've heard of people taking Harley motors and disabling one cylinder to make it a "twingle" just to have a well balanced single - is this sense?

A couple things.
The V-twin offers a way to resolve forces in more than one direction, so it can potentially be a smoother arrangement, but not  necessarily, like the Harleys you mention.
Secondly, the twins have more than one power pulse, so they don't have to carry the inertia in the flywheels so far as a single does.

I haven't heard about this Harley" twingle" mod, but I don't think it makes sense.
However, Buell did use a Sportster engine with one cylinder in their 500cc Blast model.

As a general update, I did hear last night that Aniket ran at least part of the CNC program for machining the new cases, and it worked well.
I think it was machining the area of the cam spindle locations.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 08:12:10 am

The 45° vee with single common crank pin has greater inherent vibration than a 50° vee or a 45° vee with separate crank pins.

A shovel based single would make some sense for the guy wanting something different or a simple and elegant 670cc torque monster type engine for a custom build to do essentially what the Bullet does.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:12 pm

The 45° vee with single common crank pin has greater inherent vibration than a 50° vee or a 45° vee with separate crank pins.

A shovel based single would make some sense for the guy wanting something different or a simple and elegant 670cc torque monster type engine for a custom build to do essentially what the Bullet does.

That motor looks sweet,   I am probably lucky I can't see the entire bike though as the tank hints at all types of yech...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 01:48:53 am
As does the exhaust.

Still an intriguing way to get monster torque from off the shelf parts though.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 06:39:52 pm
Aniket,

These guys are in your neck of the woods. Perhaps you could get together with them and...they make a rolling chassis, you make the engine..oh my my sky is the limit ! British heritage, designed in Ohio, American muscle, made in China.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 02:35:31 am

Now thats something we would all like to see!
Aniket,

Ace, good to hear about the progress. Any idea yet on the price of the "bespoke" items, castings etc?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 01:26:32 pm
Nothing really new to report.
He's still working out the CNC machining program details for the various areas on the crankcases which need to be machined.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:44 pm
Could you put ACE/mondello UCE top ends on it with EFI n'all....I mean if you throw enough money at it you could, but reasonably ??
Sure you could do that, but you could have that right now, just visit any Honda, Kaw, Suzuki etc. shop. They are right there on the floor, EFI and all. ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.