Author Topic: Paul Henshaw's Machismo 500/AVL ton-up/High Revving build - This one works!  (Read 70946 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: November 29, 2015, 10:07:28 am
Great news, Sanket  8) ;D ;D
 It really is amazing, the transformation you get from these engines, with the 'S' cams and a few other, really quite basic modifications. I remember having done all the other mods - some probably not really needed - on that first Electra X and not really getting much improvement ... then the 'S' cams went in and we went straight into BSA B50 territory, I had to try full throttle a couple of times, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Great stuff, I am very pleased for you and 'Asbo' 13  8)
 B.W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #106 on: November 29, 2015, 05:14:13 pm
Sanket,

now go and upset some CGT owners!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: November 29, 2015, 05:26:29 pm
Sanket,

A.

;D ;D ;D

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #108 on: November 30, 2015, 05:11:03 am
Great news, Sanket  8) ;D ;D
 It really is amazing, the transformation you get from these engines, with the 'S' cams and a few other, really quite basic modifications. I remember having done all the other mods - some probably not really needed - on that first Electra X and not really getting much improvement ... then the 'S' cams went in and we went straight into BSA B50 territory, I had to try full throttle a couple of times, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Great stuff, I am very pleased for you and 'Asbo' 13  8)
 B.W.

Seriously it's hard to believe so much of a change by doing something which not many will encourage these days. Totally worth being an ASBO  8) Now I just need to get the break in done and head for the nearest track.

Sanket,

A.

I did upset one while coming to work today, they don't like it at all, that's all I can say  ;D

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: November 30, 2015, 01:50:09 pm
Hmm, off to a good start, then!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #110 on: December 01, 2015, 04:43:25 pm
Ive been watching a lot of porting videos ive been thing about opening up the intake side a tiny bit and just mainly polishing it. probably not much gain but sounds like a fun project.  ive heard some people open the exhaust side up a bit too?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #111 on: December 01, 2015, 06:52:09 pm
 In general the port runners on Indian made heads are bigger than they need to be.  I'd hold off on any port work until I talked to ace cafe first.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 05:52:13 am
Ive been watching a lot of porting videos ive been thing about opening up the intake side a tiny bit and just mainly polishing it. probably not much gain but sounds like a fun project.  ive heard some people open the exhaust side up a bit too?

I think Adrian has already ported his head to match a 36mm dellorto, so you can check with him. I am not sure if you'll loose any bottom end grunt tho.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 08:15:22 am
I didn't touch the ports on the 103mph, 33.34bhp machine [I was asked not to].
 B.W.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:26:08 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 01:27:19 pm

FWIW  No-one polishes ports anymore.  In-fact it has been proven that a rougher surface atomizes fuel much more efficiently than a polished surface.  They found with polished ports, fuel droplets will actually stick to the side of the port instead of atomizing and traveling the full length into the combustion chamber.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 01:46:00 pm
All depends on the goal.

If you don't plan to raise the rpm range, you can keep the same port diameter,  and do shape changes to increase velocity, do a proper valve job,  and use more of the available valve area.

If you have no flow bench, or have no experience at this, you are pretty much guaranteed to get it wrong.  If you grind it away in the wrong places, we cannot weld metal back in the ports easily because it is too small in there to get the welding torch in where it needs to go, and the air cooled heads get too hot there to reliably depend on epoxy filler in the ports.

So either leave it alone like BW says, or wait until you have the money to send it to someone who knows how to do it . Those are your best options.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 09:45:05 pm
I think Adrian has already ported his head to match a 36mm dellorto, so you can check with him. I am not sure if you'll loose any bottom end grunt tho.

Both of my AVL engined bikes, the Electra-X and ASBO 12 run 36mm carbs, The Electra has a Mikuni TM36-31, ASBO 12 has the Dell'Orto which I still need to tune properly for top end performance. Bottom end performance/rideability on both is absolutely fine, I couldn't feel any deterioration when the Electra went from a 32 to the 36mm carb.

On both bikes all I have really done on the inlet side is to open up the port at the carb flange just enough to match the 36mm carbs, and blending the now 36mm round hole into the 32mm x 36mm oval section of the inlet tract along the depth of the flange, no deeper. Apart from cleaning up the rest of the inlet tract (OK, and some polishing on the Electra) that's it, the port shape is still fundamentally unchanged.

There's probably enough metal in the casting if some maniac wanted to take the inlet out to 38mm/1.5", but I very much doubt there would be anything to be gained. If, however, someone out there has pictures of an Electra-X, AVL Classic or 500 Machismo fitted with an Amal GP3 carburettor I'd love to see them! The GP's flange mounting hole centers aren't too far off those on the AVL heads, 63.5mm versus 60mm. I think I'd better stop there, or Bullet Whisperer might build one...  ;D

The EXHAUST ports on the 500 AVL heads are an absolute disgrace though and could use a good clean up if you are running with an un-restricted header pipe.

A.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #117 on: December 06, 2015, 12:46:38 am
has anyone tried to use the uce flat top piston on the avl and cut the same dimension crown into it like the BW avl piston mods.  added compression and size = more powaa?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: December 06, 2015, 02:05:29 pm
has anyone tried to use the uce flat top piston on the avl and cut the same dimension crown into it like the BW avl piston mods.  added compression and size = more powaa?

People are using the AVL piston in the UCE for a compression bump.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #119 on: December 06, 2015, 02:56:45 pm
As far as I know, the "UCE flat top piston " IS the AVL flat top piston.

You will need to pay attention to P to V clearance around TDC,  and you may need adjustable ignition.
Home of the Fireball 535 !