Author Topic: Paul Henshaw's Machismo 500/AVL ton-up/High Revving build - This one works!  (Read 70908 times)

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 08:05:40 am
So you have finally cut up the old piston to go ASBO after all ! I Suggest new rings for the piston !! So i guess i'll be seeing you doing 100Mph on the airport road soon  ;)

All the best !!

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #46 on: August 19, 2014, 08:33:45 am
Yes, I am really excited about all this. I am working on the old piston will try to source a new piston with same specs so that I can do the same thing but go hard on it. Hopefully it'll be an Asbo! :D

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #47 on: September 06, 2014, 01:16:32 pm
If you have the resources, you can probably get the Hitchcock's 535 high compression piston for the AVL. More cc and higher comp as well !

Or alternately if BW can suggest alternate piston which can be used - that will be even more cool !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 02:17:58 pm
If you have the resources, you can probably get the Hitchcock's 535 high compression piston for the AVL. More cc and higher comp as well !..........

You could go this route, but there are lots of horror stories about people seizing their motor with this piston due to not setting the barrel height correctly.  It is also quite heavy for a forged piston and puts added stress on the bottom end.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #49 on: September 06, 2014, 02:52:07 pm
For most affordable results, do the BW piston mod, the way he specifies it to be. It's the "best bang for the buck".

However, for those with more resources....
The world has changed.
Just use the flat top piston, and this ACE big-valve modified chamber for improved combustion efficiency, 9.8:1 compression ratio, proper squish, better flow, and more power .
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:04:36 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #50 on: September 06, 2014, 09:07:53 pm
For most affordable results, do the BW piston mod, the way he specifies it to be. It's the "best bang for the buck".

However, for those with more resources....
The world has changed.
Just use the flat top piston, and this ACE big-valve modified chamber for improved combustion efficiency, 9.8:1 compression ratio, proper squish, better flow, and more power .

Oh, how purdy it is   :) ;) ;D
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #51 on: September 09, 2014, 02:11:58 am
how much does a head like that run?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: September 09, 2014, 04:58:51 am
how much does a head like that run?
PM sent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: September 09, 2014, 02:40:11 pm
Okay, so let's review.
Very good reports about the "S Cams".
Very good reports about the TM32 carb.
DanB reports getting 6000 rpm in top, which should be right about The Ton.

Tooseevee reports he's very happy with the Ace head work(porting/big valves/Ace beehive spring package/combustion chamber mod). He also has the TM32 and Ace Air Canister filter system. Stock cams.

I don't know if anybody is using the 535 flattop piston yet.

And let's not forget that the Ace Roller Rocker High Ratio system that we developed for the Big Head can work in the AVL head too. And that kit can take higher lift cams too(up to .355"/9mm lobe lift) such as the Ace Magnum cams for even more lift up to .510" max lift.

If somebody puts all of that together, we're looking at a VERY potent street Bullet package!
All the pieces are available. It just takes somebody who wants to put it all together.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:47:08 pm by ace.cafe »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #54 on: September 09, 2014, 07:21:59 pm
Interesting, who has the necessary cojones/$$$/time to take this on? If my next project goes AVL instead of Big Head I will be sorely tempted.

Regards,

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: September 09, 2014, 07:35:04 pm
Interesting, who has the necessary cojones/$$$/time to take this on? If my next project goes AVL instead of Big Head I will be sorely tempted.

Regards,

A.

I would say that in a "full-house" AVL build as described, it would be suitable to use a TM34, or even a 35mm or 36mm carb to get all the revs that it could utilize with that stuff.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 08:16:19 pm
I would say that in a "full-house" AVL build as described, it would be suitable to use a TM34, or even a 35mm or 36mm carb to get all the revs that it could utilize with that stuff.
My money would be on a 36mm carb. 32mm MK I, 34mm MK II and 36mm MK II Amal carbs were all tested in the same session on one occasion with the machine I tuned, small increases in power THROUGHOUT the rev range were noted with each increase in carb size  ;)
 This is where we finished up ...
 B.W.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:18:50 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 09:17:49 pm
A lot depends on the way it is ported.
We use the carb as the primary restriction. It is the smallest cross section in the tract, in the way we do it.
Others put the primary restriction in the port, and use a larger carb.
This ends up with different size carbs for the application, depending on how the builder approaches the inlet design.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 10:01:30 pm
A lot depends on the way it is ported.
We use the carb as the primary restriction. It is the smallest cross section in the tract, in the way we do it.
Others put the primary restriction in the port, and use a larger carb.
This ends up with different size carbs for the application, depending on how the builder approaches the inlet design.
There may be great potential in the porting in this case, because one thing I was asked to leave stock was the cylinder head's factory porting and general specs - any improvements had to be 'bolt ons' only. I was allowed to modify the stock valves, change springs and open out the hole in the detachable  steel insert in the exhaust port of that machine's head, but that was all. Modifying the piston and shortening the barrel worked better than expected, this was only initially done to evaluate what a high compression kit might achieve, but aspects of my prototyping were not carried over into the 'kit', but that was not up to me to decide.
 B.W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #59 on: September 10, 2014, 12:30:39 am
B.W.,

t's a shame your well-known customer wasn't prepared to accept a tuned head as part of their Electra-X package, considering the tuned heads and other performance parts they offer for the classic Bullet engines. Thinking about it, it actually seems quite perverse NOT to include a tuned head amongst their range of go-faster goodies.

You did exceptionally well with what they did allow, though as is now becoming clear, a lot more can still be done with the AVL engine. I look forward to the first dyno run of a Fireball-headed AVL fitted with a set of "S" cams, though it will not be on my machine, unfortunately...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...