Author Topic: Paul Henshaw's Machismo 500/AVL ton-up/High Revving build - This one works!  (Read 71039 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Maybe not for ever but hopefully for the life of the bike!

For reference it was this one (yes I know the listing says CDI but it's TCI!), you get a coil thrown in with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191419561633?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The exhaust gasket is very restrictive. Mine blew up, so I am using a Husqvarna's exhaust gasket as we had one lying in the garage, it's a little smaller in Diameter and I could feel the struggle for revs. Even with that.. I could manage till 6000+ rpm in 4th gear. Have a dremel @ home already and a dozen AVL exhaust gaskets!

Why do you even bother with them? Ordinary bathroom silicone RTV sealant out of a big tube works fine on ASBO12, it doesn't need to be a special high temperature grade, just get the exhaust port and the pipe stub scrupulously clean, don't be mean with the application and all will be well.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Maybe not for ever but hopefully for the life of the bike!

For reference it was this one (yes I know the listing says CDI but it's TCI!), you get a coil thrown in with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191419561633?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Why do you even bother with them? Ordinary bathroom silicone RTV sealant out of a big tube works fine on ASBO12, it doesn't need to be a special high temperature grade, just get the exhaust port and the pipe stub scrupulously clean, don't be mean with the application and all will be well.

A.

Yep, that's the one. I think I will give it a try, no harm in trying things out. If I hadn't then I wouldn't have known you guys nor the KickAss BW build :)

About the exhaust gasket - I get your point but just for starters, can you tell me the ID of the exhaust gasket? If that's not too much of a hassle :)

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Update on Asbo#13

So after good 10,000 kms of stable run and countless redlining, ASBO 13 finally went out touring. We did Bangalore-Kodaikanal-Bangalore road trip, just to visit the nearest mountains and be out there in the open, it was approximately 1200 kms or so. My motorcycle had around 50kgs of luggage which was causing some weird sort of wobble at high speeds but even with all that, Asbo 13 maintained a decent 130kph speed on GPS on flat straights without any issues, no where close to the redline. When we climbed past 6k ft altitude, there were minor sputters but that got fixed by itself once we went past a decent strip of mad hill climb.

Right before the trip, I had retarded the inlet cam. She pulls hard but around the mid-range there is a weird power loss, maybe I need to get a richer needle jet.

Here are some photos from the trip -

Right outside our cottage, ladies taking their share of power nap  8)

View from our back yard. We had permission to ride thru the terrain till the hills ,that can be seen but we were friggin tired!

This is after completing a 80km hill climb with countless hairpins. The KTM had issues with coolant overflowing from all sides and the Thunderbird was pretty tired, so was Asbo13's owner!

For some, who're still wondering if the AVLs can go fast or not? Ask Mr Whisperer  8) 8) 8)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:59:07 am by AVL Power! »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Great stuff !   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
 B.W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
As those who persevere with the AVL/Electra-X Bullets discover sooner or later, there is a real motorcycle in there somewhere. You've just got to find it...

Nice to see the overseas ASBO franchise is working well, Sanket, have you followed B.W.'s latest exploits with a CGT?

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
As those who persevere with the AVL/Electra-X Bullets discover sooner or later, there is a real motorcycle in there somewhere. You've just got to find it...

Nice to see the overseas ASBO franchise is working well, Sanket, have you followed B.W.'s latest exploits with a CGT?

A.

Yep! I am following his thread. We have a bunch of UCEs going through performance mods but I guess fixing the squish really helps a lot. The UCEs here run on carbs mostly, since the EFIs fail a lot here, thanks to the fuel pumps.

@A - I will be following your footsteps, with no gasket. Hoping for more revs!

Thanks a ton folks! Without you guys this would be just another Royal Enfield :)