Author Topic: New wireing harness for G5  (Read 2950 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: March 31, 2012, 03:48:33 pm
I got my 2010 G5 back with a new wiring harness after 5 months in the shop.  Old one incinerated to protect fuses.  Harness burned from speedometer/headlight all the way to the battery.  No fuses blew.  I am tempted to try fuses with smaller value, but am afraid of upsetting the ECU with surges.  I could go to lower A value till they blow, then back up one step.  Th factory doesn't make the 2010 G5 harness anymore.  The current production is different with different connectors.  The dealer had to remove connectors from old harness and put them on the new one.  Wiring diagram was of little help as it could not be read and has errors.  Dealer reports 60 hours of shop time involved.  Battery died during wait.  I think everything is working, but not sure I trust it.  At least the rewire was under warranty.  I just hope the new design is an improvement.  GA-DK

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:23:29 pm
5 months in the shop for a harness replacement is a bit much IMO...How long did it take to get the replacement harness?  It could have been a while due to the newness of the bike...Are they new harness hand made?  So the newer bikes have a actual fuse box for the various circuits (Not that their all that many)?

Sorry about your  long wait which sounds exasperating indeed...At least it didn't; catch on fire (the bike)...I wouldn't change anything as it should be covered under warranty work ...Yes, one larger awg wire size and following  latest  industry standards has been suggested often on this website..It does seem to be the Achilles heel for some who own a enfield...Supposedly been that way since its  birth in England many years ago..Good luck and ride close to home for awhile to get a good sorted out feel..cheers.
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:46:21 pm
It sounds like your new harness was hand made. If so it's probably better than the original.  You can go with lower rated fuses if you want, the wont cause surges to your ECU. If they blow go back up a notch.  And make sure to carry spares in cas one blows on the road.

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 06:25:02 pm
Whether or not a fuse blows would depend entirely upon which circuit blew and why.
My guess is that a wire had chafed or something touched ground. In theory it would blow a fuse. but fuses take time to blow (not much time mind you, but time nonetheless, Google why GFI's came into use). A dead short if a pretty powerful force. You can use smaller fuses, but as someone else suggested it would be best to rely on your dealer and your warranty.

Harnesses evolve and it is not always possible to get an exact replacement. Some adaptation can be required for certain. Now lets think about time....
60 hours is a full week and one half of a skilled technicians time. Does is seem reasonable that it would take anyone much less a skilled technician that long to even hand construct a harness and totally rewire a bike with no wiring diagram whatsoever?

I am not suggesting that what you weren't told that, but it sounds a little dramatic to me.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:48:22 pm
And this sort of poor quality will soon bring about the demise of Royal Enfield India' you may be able to take a horse to water, but you can't get quality control at the factory.
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 12:26:17 am
Kevin: It's apparent that Royal Enfield has made significant improvements with the newer machines  Surely the factory can produce a robust satisfactory wiring harness that complements the already added features  associated with the modern fuel injected 500 c engine that is currently produced.....
Assuming one has a proper schematic, tools and hardware, a really well built harness could be constructed and dressed in two days..I'm going with the assumption that the technician in question has done this previously...
I'm going by my experienced of wiring racks of equipment . various I/O connectors, and fabricating hundereds of cable by hand (not just ethernet or fiber either) ...
It would really help that to have a few spare OEM harnesses of each model in stock to facilitate these problems when they rear their ugly head...Just a thought ...

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 01:58:27 am
I think it's dissapointing that the factory documentation is so poor that you are unable to get an accurate wiring schematic on a two year old bike still under warranty.  This could easily have been filed by VIN range either electronically or in hard copy.  I'm guessing Royal Enfield isn't ISO certified.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 02:45:11 am
I thought the new machines were ISO certified...I have the convoluted visio drawings per the Snidal manual which can get you satisfactory results in troubleshooting a problem ..A better blueprinted  engineering to scale document would be nice to have indeed..That would be fantastic....I purchased my snidal in 07, so I'm not sure if the ones they are selling now include the C5/G5/B5 combo and if so are they a upgraded accurate drawing..

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 05:53:35 am
60 hrs look more than a little excessive. I with no previous with motorcycle wiring wired my old 350 Desmo from scratch including 12volt conversion in one day. Now I accept that with the additional complexity of EFI it will be more involved, but 60 hrs? Wow.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 08:02:32 am
5 months !!!!! getoutahere!!!

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:25 am
I have to agree w/ 1Thump here Kevin 5 months to do a week and a half worth of work is excessive...
Chris

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:57 am
As far as fuses go,  they all have a slight delay built in to prevent them blowing every time there is a miniscule surge. Some are specifically made "slow blow" for certain industrial applications, others can be designed to pop very quickly.

Basically not all fuses of the same amp rating are the same. Some take longer to blow than others.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 04:49:00 pm
Wiring diagram for the new EFI bikes is sold by CMW as a big poster, which is magnified version of one in The Service Manual that is also sold by CMW.

I wonder why the dealer does not have it at all ?  

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/wiring-diagram-poster-1708.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:53:38 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 05:49:21 pm
They are available to  dealers in a very concise emailable PDF form.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:54:13 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com