Author Topic: Stripped kickstart  (Read 1644 times)

Freesponge

• Scooter
on: March 28, 2012, 05:08:07 pm
On my 66 RE the kick start doesn't engage well when its at the very top, Usually I can only get a good kick off when Its around the middle only allowing 100 degrees of motion instead of 200 degrees. Occasionally if It fiddle with it I can get it to engage but often it will slip past and catch farther down. Anybody run into this sort of problem, is there an easy fix or do I have to replace the unit?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:46:24 pm
Assuming your talking about a a 4spd box for a 350 or 500 bullet my guess is it would be the spingle  (32),  layshaft bush  (33) or pawl , all or one being worn causing the alignment to be off and  the reduced range of motion.    Just a guess.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/984/Gearbox
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:56:25 pm
All the RE twins & singles that used the Albion 4-speed gearbox were made in similar fashion. The high gear with the ratchet teeth on the inside, may have wear on the teeth. The pawl has a little bitty spring and plunger to keep it ingaged to the high gear inner teeth. If the little spring breaks, it gives the symptoms you mention. That or a worn out pawl or spindle as was previously mentioned. All in all, it's not too hard to fix in comparison to other tasks.