Author Topic: New member and question concerning C5 Special  (Read 1159 times)

Ex Zurin

• Scooter
on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:12 pm
Hello, first time poster, long time reader of the forum.
I have been planning to purchase a C5 Classic for awhile now, just waiting for some financial responsibilities to clear up.  Dang responsibility conscious says to take care of some student loans!
While I am dreaming and planning, I would like to ask a question to all you like-minded individuals.
Per Kevin Mahoney’s announcement post of March 7th pertaining to the C5 Special variations, I had a few questions:
•Will the C5 Special be released in the US as a model year 2013 option?
•Will the increase in front and rear wheel sizes to 19 inches provide less RPM at highway cruising (70+ mph)?
•Will the C5 Special simply replace the current C5 Classic offering in the US?
Sorry if the questions seem somewhat anal, I would just like to know if the C5 Special is the target that I need to be aiming at.
Thanks in advance for any information and I look forward to reading and learning from all of your posts.
I hope to be thumping soon!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:45 pm
With all the bikes, gearing and wheel speed take them to the point that wind drag is the major limiting factor, so cruising RPM is roughly the same for all.  Usually you can install a 1 tooth larger front sprocket to drop the RPMs.

As to the other questions, call Classic Motor Works directly and ask.  They'll know more than all our conjecture put together :)

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:14:49 pm
Welcome to the group!  Definitely plan on the C5 special.  This will undoubtedly become the standard C5 once the company moves away from the offset forks. It still has the 18" wheel in the back. The front 19" and straight forks simply fix an issue that caused some of our bikes to have a bit of an exciting ride at high speeds.

GSS
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:24:26 pm by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:16:24 pm
Hi Ex Zurin and welcome aboard  !

My guess is that it will have the same tire / sprocket combo as the B5 which gives the same revs at the same speeds as the the other Bullet variants.

You could bump the front sprocket up one tooth if that were to become your preference but IMHO there is no outright need to do so.

As far as what will come, go or stay in the the Bullet lineup,,,,I have no crystal ball.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:43:54 am
My dealer had a couple of the 2012 C5 Specials in last week.  The bike does feel slightly larger, but with the exception of the front wheel and fork it looks the same.  My dealer said the C5 Classic would continue to be part of the Enfield line(but things can change).