Author Topic: 1st "Long Ride"?  (Read 9176 times)

Juggernaut

• Scooter
on: April 29, 2008, 05:20:42 pm
Just about to turn in to Vince for the 300 mile service. What great fun it's been so far!

My question is:

At about what mileage were you at when you first went on ride that was more than half an hour? I'm just asking because I'd like to gauge when I will be able to do a trip to work from home. 60mph speeds will only be for 20.1 miles then I can get off the freeway and do some stop and go to the main gate.

I've got an 08 military with AVL.

Thanks!
Sharks are winners because they don't look back. Becuase they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:25:40 pm
      Call me!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 03:05:51 am
I don't think I ever take rides that are under a couple hours. Even as new as your bike is, you should have no trouble taking a long ride.

deejay

Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:09:06 pm
60mph speeds will only be for 20.1 miles then I can get off the freeway and do some stop and go to the main gate.

Think you got yerself the wrong bike if you wanna do freeway riding.

Juggernaut

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 03:51:27 pm
60mph speeds will only be for 20.1 miles then I can get off the freeway and do some stop and go to the main gate.

I know I most certainly DID make the right decision on the bike I purchased.   ;D

I'd love to be able to ride my Bullet to work everyday, but I understand thats not what its for. Sadly, the sidestreet option for me will most likely triple my commute. I just was curious if it would make it once in awhile.

Also, I've had my 1st beetle-in-the-face experience at almost 40 mph.   Awesome...
Sharks are winners because they don't look back. Becuase they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:34:10 pm

Also, I've had my 1st beetle-in-the-face experience at almost 40 mph.   Awesome...

Hopefully you had a full face shield helmet on.  Even with a face shield - a june bug impact in the face could startle to the point of an instant distraction.

There is a lot of brain stem (primitive brain) function in riding a motorcycle.  Much like flying a fighter plane.  The higher conscious brain is working to avoid unsafe conditions (riding like your invisible),  daydreaming when possible and generally enjoying the ride.  The autonomic brain is in instinctive real time high gear.  A large bug or debris in the face will cause a reaction faster than consciously thinking about it.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 04:39:04 pm
Just about to turn in to Vince for the 300 mile service. What great fun it's been so far!

My question is:

At about what mileage were you at when you first went on ride that was more than half an hour? I'm just asking because I'd like to gauge when I will be able to do a trip to work from home. 60mph speeds will only be for 20.1 miles then I can get off the freeway and do some stop and go to the main gate.

I've got an 08 military with AVL.

Thanks!

I was immediately outside of the break-in period when I did my first > 30 minute ride. Can't remember precisely what mileage constitued the end of that period though (I'd have to look at my Owners Manual...) !

Matt

deejay

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 06:17:32 pm
Hopefully you had a full face shield helmet on.  Even with a face shield - a june bug impact in the face could startle to the point of an instant distraction.

I can't imagine riding without a FF Helmet for this very reason. I've been hit by a bee in the face shield before and I swear it could have knocked me off the bike without protection. And that was only traveling at about 40mph... how the Harley guys do it with no helmets on the highways is a mystery to me (no helmet law in my state). Especially when the horse-flies are out mid-summer... YIKES

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 02:35:16 am

I can't imagine riding without a FF Helmet for this very reason. I've been hit by a bee in the face shield before and I swear it could have knocked me off the bike without protection. And that was only traveling at about 40mph... how the Harley guys do it with no helmets on the highways is a mystery to me (no helmet law in my state). Especially when the horse-flies are out mid-summer... YIKES

I often ride with my half helmet in the summer (a la CHP) and have had a bee get wedged between the helmet and my ear/head. No worries about wrecking the bike because everyone gets out of the way of the nut riding down the road smacking himself in the head! ;D
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:07:30 am
well since I rode bikes in the 50's and 60's and wore no helmets..  i don't wear one when I ride the X..nowdays    like to blow the cooties out of my hair every once and awhile :D

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 03:28:51 am
I'm not sure its a good idea to to freeway speeds for 20 mile stretches at any time. Even a sprocket change to say a 19 0r 20 doesn't change the power needed to maintain those speeds. So even though the the engines revs are lower with a larger countershaft sprocket ,the throttle opening is larger. There is no free lunch. On the other hand, it has no trouble (so far)handling short bursts. The freeway issue was one of the main reasons the original Brit bikes fell from favor, what hope do the Indian RE's have on the freeway?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 08:17:44 am
Vince may cringe to hear this but I rode my bike home from his dealership to my place in Seattle hen she had something like 750mi. on it. Ended taking about 5 hours. I stopped a couple of times, because i was lost, no hurry. Bike was great the whole time. Needed overall adjustments afterward but I guess that is the name of the game when you are taliking RE!

sonovabich

• Neophyte
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 09:38:48 pm
RE: long ride-after the first oil change (Do the first few early, like 50 miles, 250, then normal changes intervals.) KEY WORD:  SYNTHETIC OIL.  Mobil1, Amzoil, etc. will definately keep your beast running cooler, longer due to the fact they're slippery-er, and stay together longer than regular petrolium oils.  Harely dealers used to claim that Synthetics were too slippery, and the rollers in the bottom ends would just slide instead of roll.  Now they have their own synthetic oil, and as usual, grossly over-priced.  Huh.  Maybe they were talking ferttilizer from male bovines...
     Also the reason the british bike industry went belly-up was a combination of antiquated design, lax machining, bad electrics and the totally superior Japanese product for less money.   

geoffbaker

Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 12:17:54 am
     Also the reason the british bike industry went belly-up was a combination of antiquated design, lax machining, bad electrics and the totally superior Japanese product for less money.   

You've just stated all the reasons we like the RE's so much.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 04:38:49 pm
     Jon, you took your time. You rested the bike. You stayed off the freeway. In other words you rode the bike the way it was supposed to be ridden. I have no problem with an experienced rider  riding properly. I hope you had fun!