Author Topic: A "first service" question  (Read 2686 times)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
on: May 26, 2008, 06:08:15 pm
Dealer informs me to change all oils and filter at 500 miles, re-torque the head.

He didn't mention the primary chain however, (bear with me if this has been discussed before). Should the primary chian be adjusted at 500 or is this considered too early? Just an oil change at that point, (my AVL motor came with a nifty drain plug in the primary case so that should take all of five minutes)?

Thanks

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:57:39 pm
Dealer informs me to change all oils and filter at 500 miles, re-torque the head.

He didn't mention the primary chain however, (bear with me if this has been discussed before). Should the primary chian be adjusted at 500 or is this considered too early? Just an oil change at that point, (my AVL motor came with a nifty drain plug in the primary case so that should take all of five minutes)?

Thanks

I would go ahead and change the oil in the primary case - and do it by removing the cover. That way you can check the primary chain tension while you're at it.

It is possible to give the chain tension a cursory check without removing the cover, but what's the fun in that?

The chain will almost certainly not need adjusting, but you'll never know until....

If you decide to do it:
1) Be careful not to tear your primary cover gasket (or buy an extra to have on hand)
2) For some details see item number 8 in :
http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/RE_maintenance.htm

Matt

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:26:59 am
I've had my primary case off numerous times..  the first one i ripped.. but I HAD  anothother in the toolbox.. since that time I have used axle grease as the sealer..  and it works wonderfully.. no leakage and the gasket is re useable.. old hot rod trick 

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:54:46 pm
Thumper, I didn't consider checking it with the cover on - good idea. I'm trying to envision how. I'm guessing remove the fill plug and use a screw driver or other suitable tool and measure the up-and-down movement to about 5-6MM?

How do you do it?

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:47:32 am
Thumper, I didn't consider checking it with the cover on - good idea. I'm trying to envision how. I'm guessing remove the fill plug and use a screw driver or other suitable tool and measure the up-and-down movement to about 5-6MM?

How do you do it?

I've never done it myself, but yes, I think that's how it's done.

Personally, I'd take the cover off and adjust it the first time, then replace the cover and then check the tension through the fill plug. This way I'd know what a properly adjusted chain felt like (when externally checking it).

Matt