Author Topic: Leaky petrol cap  (Read 2874 times)

michigandon

• Scooter
on: April 29, 2008, 09:45:10 am
Anyone else have problems with the gas cap leaking on their Electra? The Mrs' newly-aquired '06 leaks like a sieve around the cap. My  >:( '07 Classic has a flip-style cap that seals up tight and appears to be  better made. Is it possible to retrofit the Classic cap onto the Electra tank? Should I try cutting out a different gasket first (have access to some heavy sheets of rubber here at work).

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:44:05 pm
Mine leaks too.Drives me crazy. Someone a while back suggested that you make a rubber washer out of inner tobe or something, and put it behind the rubber disc already on it. I don't know if it would work but sounds good.

What I do is: don't fill it all the way to the top, and when closing it, be sure to give it a little extra push. It should click more than once to be fully closed. Even then, I get a little leakage around the cap sometimes.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:39:18 pm
An extra bit of rubber will do it, or... if it is under warranty take it to your dealer
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 12:02:11 am
Thanks for the advice Kevin. My warranty just ran out, but I'll use a piece if innertube and make a rubber washer thingy for it.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 02:48:28 am
yea.. that's a constant.. my wife has an 883 she changed the tank and her extra gas cap had a rubber washer that was , guess what?,, the same size.. no more drooling