Author Topic: 2007 military?  (Read 4715 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 01:30:38 am
Get a Honda.

these new ones are almost like a honda compared the CLASSIC.
seem to be plug and play....
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 02:03:21 am
bare:
You must remember, when LWT BC thinks about Royal Enfields he's thinking about the one he owns.  ;D  (Just kidding BC)

Perhaps 20 to 30 years from now he will buy a new UCE model and find that their reliability has been improved?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

snowkid03

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 05:37:56 am
Get a Honda.

and forgo happiness?  i drive a VW for a car... the simple route isn't necessarily better...   ::)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 08:01:20 am
We can only go one what you write and how we feel reading between the lines.

You said somewhere about happy to learn mechanicing skills and then say you don't want to change the clutch cable.

------

The comments about unreliability come about because people fiddle with what they don't understand until they break it and then blame the bike.

Go for the earliest bike you can afford. Everything will have been fixed that's going to break and modifications will have been carried out to get it reliable.

If you hate it, then you will be able to sell it for what you paid. Unlike a newer bike.

I put it to you. If this bike was as bad as some say, why would they still be in production after all these years?

It's not a Japanese camera, for sure. But they are reliable! You should wash the bike, say once a fortnight or after a long run. That's the time to check her over for any loose fastners. If there are any then use Loctite and re-tighten. Check the oil level. That's it! Well you could go mad and polish her and lube the cables and drive chain.

There will be issues. But post them on here, or on the UK forums, and you will get the very best advice.

Remember it is a vintage machine and treat her with respect and she will pay you back in spades.

The guys over there can't go anywhere without drawing a crowd. You're going to be a number one attraction!!!

Or you could buy transport and get a Honda.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

snowkid03

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 12:55:08 pm
aah, i should have rephrased the clutch cable thing as "i don't want to still be learning to drive and control my motorcycle and have the clutch cable break at the same time...?"  i have no problems fixing things, taking time keeping stuff running in top shape and doing the smaller things myself.  i just don't want to be that fool that snaps a cable, tries to fix it, and screws everything else up in the meantime.  I am a severely handicapped special education teacher- that should tell you something about me being patient and not ever looking over every detail (because in my students' case those small details are their signs of academic progress)

i am 100% into doing things myself, but don't currently have the skill set to just pick up and fix things without a lot of help.  I understand bikes take a certain level of maintenance and upkeep- i just wanted to make sure that getting an RE wasn't like getting another full time job (except I'm learning that riding it might be a full time job because they are so fun!)

i am confident in my ability to learn and grow with the bike- i just didn't want to buy one if i was going to have to spend our first few months together learning how to fix problems in the shop.  I am getting a 2011...  that way I can work on my riding skills first, and work on my mechanic skills second (except for tightening the bolts  ;) ).

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 05:30:25 pm
Go for it.

Did Mecanno ever get to America? It was a construction toy in the 50's and 60's. Google it. An Enfield is like that. Screws and bolts. But unlike a jap bike they come apart. Spares are available, but you do have to wait over there. Me., I have a dealer 5 minutes away, and Hitchcocks, Watsonian etc an over night delivery away. The bits are cheap too.

I don't have the skill set either. But I decided to have 2.5 mm shaved off the bottom of the barrel, lap the head in and remover the head gasket oh and also ported it. So now the compression ratio is higher and no leaks.

if you can follow a recipe you can do it. I'd still go with an iron barrel...

:-*
May contain nuts.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 05:32:43 pm
I am a severely handicapped special education teacher

So how are you going to ride if you're severely handicapped?  ???

OK I get it.  ;D
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 12:38:39 am
lwt big cheese:  I was caught off guard on that too but after further reading, it was apparent he's a educator of handicap children.....
.I hear what your saying about " tinker toys" and lincoln logs...heeeee.... a bit more complicated don't ya think ..In the same breath, its better to say you had then to  regret and never did....you can come up with a better savy punch line ,,,  ;D..u keep it up and we'll have to change your name to stilton_stinky cheese.... ::)
Oh Magoo you done it again

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 05:38:17 am
Meccano in the US was paralleled by the awesomely-named "Erector Set."

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 08:04:58 am
change your name to stilton_stinky cheese

I like cheese. I bought some Stinking Bishop.

It was wrapped in greaseproof paper. Then in a sealed plastic container and in the fridge.

My wife came in and said "I think the dogs been sick!".

Loverly, but not as stinky as Vieux Boulogne.. Now that is rank!
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 02:44:53 pm
My wife came in and said "I think the dogs been sick!".

You're killing me........... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 08:00:04 pm
The Vieux Boulogne smells like silage!!!

They wipe beer over the cheese...

then leave it!

May contain nuts.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 11:12:40 pm
Sounds like a waste of good beer to me.

I suggest they pitch the cheese and drink the beer.  That way everyone will be happier. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 08:00:31 am
Good beer?

They're French!

Oh hang on, you're comparing French beer to American. I'm comparing fine English ale with French...

::)

;) :D ;D :-*
May contain nuts.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 08:15:59 am
Good beer?

They're French!

Oh hang on, you're comparing French beer to American. I'm comparing fine English ale with French...

::)

;) :D ;D :-*

Now we know you're pulling our leg,,thar aint no such thang as fine french ale  ;)  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.