Author Topic: Running with a dry Primary  (Read 3303 times)

PJMartel

• Neophyte
on: March 20, 2012, 04:48:14 pm
I'm new to this forum, having just branched out from my collection of Triumphs and picking up a 1942 WD/CO. It had been on display for a number of years, so I took her apart and replaced what was needed and once back together she fired right up. Still have more sorting out to do, but I do have a question for those of you more familiar with RE's. My only real issue with leaking is from the primary cover, where I just can't get a decent seal with the gasket. Judging by how archaic the design is, I can see that this must be a common problem. My question is whether or not it is acceptable to run the primary dry with just a frequent coating of chain oil administered. This bike won't be ridden hard or for long distances, just mostly putting around town. I wouldn't think of doing this on my Trumps since the main reason for the primary oil is actually to cool the stator/alternator, but since the WD doesn't have one, is this OK to do, or would I cook my clutch without it. Thanks in advance for you advice. 
1942  RE WD/CO
1956 Triumph Blackbird
1965 Triumph TR6SR
1967 Triumph TR6R
2005 Triumph T100
2005 Triumph America
2006 Shovelhead Bobber

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:09:56 pm
I read somewhere about guys who do trials that do jsut that, they spray the primary chain with lube before each event, I think they were running dry plate clutches.... you should be fine

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:30:35 pm
Yes, it's ok.
You may have slightly accelerated primary chain wear, and the clutch won't cool as well.

But, it's do-able.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:32:55 pm
The clutch bearings wouldn't like it much.
Permatex has a couple of products that should cure the ails you have. Try the High tack gasket sealant or the Ultra Black gasket maker. With the Ultra Black gasket maker, you pitch the gasket. Put a bead of this stuff on one surface, screw it down just to where the material starts to squeeze out. then let it sit for an hour. then come back and finish tightening it down. Full cure in 24 hours.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:58:45 pm
The clutch bearings wouldn't like it much.
Permatex has a couple of products that should cure the ails you have. Try the High tack gasket sealant or the Ultra Black gasket maker. With the Ultra Black gasket maker, you pitch the gasket. Put a bead of this stuff on one surface, screw it down just to where the material starts to squeeze out. then let it sit for an hour. then come back and finish tightening it down. Full cure in 24 hours.
Bare

...and make sure you clean both surfaces first with something that will cut ALL the oil residue. Carb cleaner, starting fluid, even gasoline. Gotta be clean to stick good.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 02:13:38 am
Wecome aboard PJMartel and congrats on your R.E.

Silicone should do the trick. If it does not there is always Polyurethane sealers.
They are much more oil resistant than Silicone sealers. Detroit's big three use it for form in place type gaskets on the assembly line.  They do cost more though.  Right Stuff is one I can vouch for personally.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 05:25:41 am
Just don't use one of the old fashioned Permatex #1 or #2 sealants.
If you do you may have to do some damage to get the cases apart in the future.

Permatex Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker should be just the thing for sealing the cases.

Unlike some Silicone RTV sealants it does not give off corrosive gasses/fluids, it is totally oil resistant and like other Silicone RTV's it won't permanently bond your parts together.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 07:54:18 am
Why not just let her leak. It's on old bike. Wait to you get her age!
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:32 pm
Why not just let her leak. It's on old bike. Wait to you get her age!
I agree, the drooling is a major part of the character. Being a triumph guy you should be used to this.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 07:44:40 am
Drooling   :D
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

PJMartel

• Neophyte
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 06:25:56 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions gents. I'll give it a shot trying to stem the flow with a bit of sealer. I don't seal my Triumphs with anything because cleaning off the primary surfaces is such a pain, and I'm frequently tinkering and fine tuning all of them. Yes, most all of them will leave a small drop or two when parked, and if the RE would do just that I'd be happy, but it leaks MUCH more than that. I'll let you know how it turns out. Again, thanks for the help - I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road.
1942  RE WD/CO
1956 Triumph Blackbird
1965 Triumph TR6SR
1967 Triumph TR6R
2005 Triumph T100
2005 Triumph America
2006 Shovelhead Bobber