Author Topic: New to the land of electra's  (Read 2457 times)

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
on: July 27, 2008, 07:55:42 pm
I am waiting very patiently for my 2006 electra w/cozy sidecar to arrive. NO SMALL TASK!!! So thought I would write to the community and see what others opnions are of the electra pros and cons. Any and all replies welcome. BTW: The sidecar is for my 73 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback. He's a bit big to ride on the tank so gets his own sidecar.  :o

Gromit and Top Dawg
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:17:40 pm
Welcome Gromit and TD!

Pros:
gas shocks
electronic ignition
stronger engine
disc brake in front

Cons:
"Classic 70's Style"
fewer aftermarket parts

Matt

exmayor

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:30:51 pm
Gromit,

I bought the same rig used this spring with 500 miles on it.  The previous owner had over filled the the engine oil which pumped up into the air filter and covered it with oil.  Mine likes to be about half way up the dipstick.  Be sure to  check that.  I had only ridden solo bikes and it took a bit to get used to the yaw of the rig.  It pulls right under power and left under braking.  I think that when I service the primary I will change the primary gear from the 18 tooth to a 17.  That should allow me to use 5th on flat roads at about 50 mph.  The brakes are strong enough for the rig even with a passanger.  I have found that tire pressures of 28 front/ 30 rear and car seem to work well for us. 
I have e removed the PAV, installed a K&N cone filter and re routed the breather plugging the return and allowing the excess vapor to lubricate the chain.  We now have about 1000 mi on the rig and there seems to be much less dripping on the chain.  I think the rings must have seated reducing the pressure in the lower end.  Jim (hrab) at out host is a wealth if info and helped me figure out the little issues. 

enjoy

Rick
'06 Electra w/Rocket sidecar (Green)
'02 Ducati Monster 620 (Dark)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:52:24 pm

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 05:28:07 am
hey welcome from me to
this little guy huh?  http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/images/breeds/rhodesian_ridgeback.jpg

Thanks all for the advice. The bike has 947 miles, comes w/comfort grips and peg rubber set, JRC carburetor, K&N air filter, Dunstall muffler, Gold Star header pipe, Tombstone taillight, chrome license bracket, bullet turn signals, chrome package rack, style one windshield, 7" headlight rim kit, tri-bar headlight, saddlebags, Odssey battery, Throttle boss, PAV block off nut, Avon road runner tires

This is my first bike. Not in it for speed, an anglophile and need a strong bike for the sidecar.

BTW: TD has a blog. w/photos. www.thebookofnigel.blogspot.com
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!