Author Topic: Right Blinker stopped working for a little bit  (Read 5282 times)

j.p. burrito

• Scooter
on: April 27, 2008, 04:25:36 am
Hi, I'm a new street bike owner, used to ride dirt bikes just bought a 2008 Royal Enfiield Military.  I just encountered a weird glitch with my right blinker.  I was riding and pressed it, but it didn't come on.  I checked the left one and it worked just fine.
When I got home I parked the bike and came back to it about an hour later and there was no problem with the blinker.
Has anyone encountered thsi problem or this this a sign of a possible problem with the electric?
Thanks for any advise.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 04:58:05 pm
I would shoot WD-40 in the socket to clean it up and when/if it happened again I'd look at the ground.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

geoffbaker

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:41:47 pm
90% of the time its just a loose wire - either in the headlamp casque where they all connect at the front - or in the back at the taillamp or at the junction under the seat. Clean, lube with electro, reconnect, crimp if necessary to make it tighter.

If that doesnt fix it you may have a cracked wire somewhere. Hope that isn't it... it takes more time to track those down.

j.p. burrito

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 05:41:19 pm
I cleaned out the socket and it seems to work fine now.  Thanks for the advise.  I will check the other wiring options you mentioned if it happens again.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:21:26 am
I have a 2008 Electra and I had a bad right hand front blinker. I just could'nt figure it out, there was power to the lamp and all was ok and new.

I turned out to be the wires where they connected up to the bike was in the way of the steering lock stop and had been damaged internally. I soldered and spliced  the black earth wire in the lamp and all was well. Took me a while to find that.

I re-routed the wiring so as to keep clear of the stop.  Brand new bike out of the factory in India.  Im expecting lots more of this  sort of thing.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 03:08:00 am
I was correct in my assumption that I would have other problems. I now have an intermittent neutral light.  I hate intermittent problem,--when you start to look for it its not there. I have fixed it but don't know why yet. It is some loose wire in the very messy cluster of wires on the right hand side of the headlamp.

I unsnapped and re-snapped all the connection and all seems well, for the time being.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 03:26:13 am
well the eZ way out is to use arm signals..  I use them all the time even though I use my signals.. I think my last recourse of action is to pull my derringer and shoot their frigging cell phone out of their hand  so maybe just maybe they will have a clue that they are stupid

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 05:18:23 am
That might work,--if your left handed,--you could convert the throttle over to the left hand side so you could shoot at people with your right.

Just riding down the road waving a gun in the air should do it.

If your in one of those states that have abandoned capital punishment it might be worth a try.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 01:05:07 pm
One of my 'pilot' lights didn't work.  Figured it was burned out.  But when I removed the jumper that keeps the light switch on the right handgrip from working, and plugged the orange into the green plug direct in the headlight casquette, bingo!  The pilot light that was out came on nicely.  Connections seem often the answer to such glitches. :-\
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

91aztec

• Neophyte
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 06:56:27 pm
Good info - My first post but I have had my Military since 05.

My left hand turn signal has stopped working and the dash light stays lit up when activated. The right hand side works fine. I assumed it was a ground issue but with the mess of wires I didn't know where to start. After doing a search and coming upon this topic I will try your suggestions.

Thanks

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 02:17:44 am
If the rear is on and the front is not but the warning light just stays on then its a front lamp malfunction --bulb maybe or connections 

Pilling out the connections which are just bullet types,-- you can swop the left lamp for the right ,--if it then works the right lamp then you have a faulty left lamp.

I had this on my new Re and it turned out to be an earth wire damaged by the steering stop. All the connection were very untidilly tucked up by the steering lock stop by the factory and it had damaged the internal black wire without any indication externally.

Took me a while to find that.