Author Topic: Ride from Columbus, Ohio to the REunion?  (Read 3926 times)

RoyalRider

• RoyalRider
  • Scooter
  • How do you like that helmet?
on: April 23, 2008, 01:01:14 am
I have a 2006 Electra and am wondering if it is feasable for me to plan to ride the 800 or so miles from Columbus, Ohio to the REunion near Faribault, MN this June. I plotted a course on my mapping program that would be mostly 2-lane highways and would plan on making the trip over 3 days. Will the bike take it? I still must decide if my butt will.
RoyalRider
"Ride hard or go home!"

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 02:51:14 am
My worn out old 99 made it out to Mo. for the Rally on the River from Detroit last year.
780 miles in a day and a half. Made it back in a day and a half too. 1,633 miles total for the trip. Only thing I had to do is adjust the chain once and add oil.
One of them new improved models ought to do it with out breaking sweat.
Your butt will just go numb after awhile, put some miles on before you go to break your butt in. I had a sheepskin pad and a gel pad that I would keep switching back and fourth and sometimes using both or not at all. In warmer weather I take a bead pad too.
Highway pegs and a throttle lock help too.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:24:39 pm
RR,
  With all due respect to CJ, he has some great tips, don't base your decision on his ride.  The guy is an animal in the saddle and he could probably fix any on the road problem with duct tape and a Leatherman.
  Take yourself some easy 200 mile day trips and you should get a good feel about making an 800 mile ride.  I'm planning on riding the 600 plus miles in two days on my '04.
  You going to be there CJ?
Leonard

I have a 2006 Electra and am wondering if it is feasable for me to plan to ride the 800 or so miles from Columbus, Ohio to the REunion near Faribault, MN this June. I plotted a course on my mapping program that would be mostly 2-lane highways and would plan on making the trip over 3 days. Will the bike take it? I still must decide if my butt will.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:31:55 pm by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:46:09 pm
I have been considering going to the REunion in Minnesota. The only thing is my bike is plain getting old and tired. I wish I would have saved it for the REunions exclusively but it has been my primary bike for 9 yrs now and I did not baby it at all. I want to rebuild the motor and break it in slow and keep it just for a REunion bike. I'm not going to break it in 1 season good enough for trips like that so somewhere along the line I'm going to have to ride something else.
So yes I think I'm going to make it but I don't know if it's going to be on the Enfield.
I might have to ride "another brand" and take the grief for it. Plus going around Chicago is no cakewalk and the only other way there is either go up through the UP and back down or take the ferry across Lake Mi.
Big decisions to make!
I am looking for for another early 99 to buy so I will always have a bullet for the REunions, and a bike to use for breaking motors in.
Yes it is true, I am an animal in the saddle and I would not recommend doing anything the way I do. I just like to ride and if your not in the saddle your not riding!
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"