Author Topic: Clutch cables  (Read 3246 times)

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
on: May 14, 2008, 03:07:55 pm
Anyone having trouble with clutch cables? I just broke a second one in 6,700 miles on my '06 Bullet ES Classic; as with the first one, it snapped at the ball end. The original cable lasted seven months/5,300 miles; cable two (which was included with the bike) lasted only 4 months/1,400 miles. The Enfield mechanic seems to think there is a problem with the clutch actuator, and pointed out that the new bikes have different set-up. He does not know whether the new style actuator can be retro-fitted to my bike. Does any one out there have an answer?
Also, when I snapped the first cable, I ordered a premium cable from our host, but it doesn't fit into the clutch actuator arm, even though the specs. say it is the proper cable. Anyone else have this problem?
I guess that it should also be pointed out that I had to replace the original actuator at the time the first cable snapped - it had a hairline crack in it.
Cable woes; I've also had to replace the throttle cable. Seems like I'm the problem, but I really don't think so!

deejay

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:36:07 pm
You can modify the arm yourself, it has been done by a few others. the problem is when the clutch is pulled, the cable is allowed to bend at the spot near the arm inside the gearbox (where i'm assuming yours broke). The fix is to use a dremel on the arm and create a grove so that the ball on the cable end is allowed to move on the arm itself, instead of bending the cable... sort of like a human ball joint.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:28:41 pm
Deejay is right on the money
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Roger

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:32:23 am
DVDitman,

Check my post titled "Clutch Cable 5 Speed" this may assist you, I have added another reply showing what I did to fit the Premium Cable. One other thing I found was to have to clutch pushrod adjusted in such a way that cable pulls straight rather then having it bend. I acheived this by backing off all the cable adjustmenters then adjust the clutch pushrod as this will put the actuation lever balls at the bottom of the ramp on the actuator.

See how you go

Roger