Author Topic: Exposed air filters and riding in the rain?  (Read 9118 times)

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
on: April 19, 2008, 01:45:48 am
I have a question for those of you who have ditched the OEM airbox setup for an exposed air filter that clamps directly to the carb (like the various K&N or S&B models).  What happens if these get wet?  Are they oil coated or something to protect from this, or do you have to only ride in fair weather?

If I decide to go to a freer flowing exhaust and air filter, I am probably not going to do it until my bike is more fully broken in, but I was just looking at the rain outside and it got me wondering.  It's too bad there isn't an option to put a less restrictive filter in the stock airbox without making modifications.

Eamon
Eamon

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:59:50 am
     Eamon, don't do this. A clamp on filter will cause problems in the rain, but more important is that the carb will fall off.  The stock carb is connected on both sides by rubber manifolds. If you remove one , the other (from carb to engine) won't take the stress. It will rip. Then the carb falls off. While it is in the process of ripping the carb will flop around and vibrate. This causes the gas to foam. It won't flow properly and the engine won't run properly. You can fabricate a bracket to support the carb, but the stock carb is limited as to how much it will flow no matter how it is jetted. Get the Amal 30MM kit. It bolts on and flows better. It will eliminate all the problems you are going to cause for your self.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:53:14 am
     Eamon, don't do this. A clamp on filter will cause problems in the rain, but more important is that the carb will fall off.  The stock carb is connected on both sides by rubber manifolds. If you remove one , the other (from carb to engine) won't take the stress. It will rip. Then the carb falls off. While it is in the process of ripping the carb will flop around and vibrate. This causes the gas to foam. It won't flow properly and the engine won't run properly. You can fabricate a bracket to support the carb, but the stock carb is limited as to how much it will flow no matter how it is jetted. Get the Amal 30MM kit. It bolts on and flows better. It will eliminate all the problems you are going to cause for your self.

Good to know Vince, thanks!  I had wondered about that also, but the rain outside is what got me thinking.  It seems like the Amal 30mm is the way to go.  I'm curious how you feel about the "30mm Flat-Slide Performance Carburetor" listed in the catalog? I noticed that it says it gives better clearance for the throttle cable - is there a similar benefit with the Amal?

Like I said originally, I'm not in any hurry to make changes to things that are working ok as they are, but once the motor is more fully broken in it might be nice to free things up a bit!

Thanks,
Eamon
Eamon

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:07:04 am
 I have wondered about this very thing and I believe you will have to adjust to the conditions if you choose to run without the airbox. The filters on the open/boxless airfilters are oil treated but if you are ridin g and there is a hard rain or heavy drizzle(yes in seattle we know the difference) The vacuum created by the engine is going to suck in water  no matter what you do. If you want to keep water out while you are not riding get one of those shower caps to cover the filter, perhaps. Search around on the forum and you will find folks who have put low restriction filters in their air boxes and they have good advice for doing this.
     Eamon,  we should try to get the Seattle Bullets together at one of the last old skool Seattle hangouts  one of these days.
                                                                               Cheers,
                                                                                              Jon

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 09:37:54 pm
 Eamon,  we should try to get the Seattle Bullets together at one of the last old skool Seattle hangouts  one of these days.
                                                                               Cheers,
                                                                                              Jon

Indeed we should!  I'm going to be on vacation the week overlapping the end of April and beginning of May, but perhaps we should aim for something in May to round up all of the Seattle area Bullets?
Eamon

deejay

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:58:10 am
you can modify the stock airbox to accept a k&n filter. do a search, i believe someone posted instructions here. kill 2 birds with one air filter.

abe

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 04:14:26 am
I have already made the switch to the Amal 30, and back in the day we used to use a oily foam filter that fitted over the K&N paper filter and it worked fine.  I don't like riding in the rain anymore but I do get stuck from time to time living in Portland.  If any one knows where I can find the foam cover please let me know.

Thanks!

abe out...

royalrider_cj

• Scooter
  • 2006 Bullet Sixty-5
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 04:26:21 am
I tried an exposed K&N pancake filter, but found what Vince said previously to be the case.  This post -   http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,1195.0.html   - by Byway worked great for me. Most importantly, my Enfield breathes as fine as it did with the exposed filter, but retains its original appearance.
2006 RE Bullet Sixty-5
1971 Suzuki T250R

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 04:52:34 pm
EAMON...   It can be done. I've been using the small round K&N with the chrome cover for 5 years now. The key is to switch to the radiator hose for the intake rubber. Push it up tight, and clamp with REAL clamps. The rain isn't much of an issue for me, living in central Illinois we don't see a lot of it during the riding season.
                       - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill