Author Topic: New Bullet (to me) - tool kit questions  (Read 2626 times)

paper clip

• Scooter
on: April 21, 2008, 01:05:26 am
Hello,  Yesterday I purchased a 1996 bullet with 143km on it and it did not come with a tool kit or any extra parts.  What all comes in the bullets tool kit? also what would you recomend carrying in the tool boxes as far as tools and spare parts.

Thanks,  Justin
1996 Enfield Deluxe

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:09 am
Not much comes from the factory in the toolkit-two tyre levers,a spark plug wrench,two screwdrivers (philips and flat), and four open-end wrenches,and a pouch to hold them. A clutch cable and front brake cable are supplied with a new bike,too,along with a spare inner tube. This is just the bare minimum for tools-many guys carry much more with them.
   A good idea would be to get a parts manual, and the service manual for your bike-if it has been sitting that long with so few miles, you will probably have to be changing some seals, or cleaning out the carb (if you haven't done this yet)
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:07:31 am
The wrenches are Whitworth sized. I can't remember the sizes offhand but there are lots of online suppliers to buy some from. I added a pair of slip-joint pliers and some zip-ties to my kit.

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:09:53 am
I would carry at a minimum a 10,13,15,17mm spanner/box wrenches 1 adjustable spanner wrench also a pair of plyers.  A philips head and flat head screw driver.  A spare spark plug, fuses, and a few O-rings.  Never hurts to carry a spare set of cables, clutch, brake, and throttle for the long trips.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

geoffbaker

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:48:58 pm
You might find this thread useful:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,1130.msg11353.html#msg11353

Don't bother buying the "factory toolkit" if it's available... the tire levers are a joke. Motionpro makes the best tire levers and wheel tools... you're best off assembling your own, and several people in the thread I've given you offer an extensive list of the "ultimate toolkit"

Go to ebay for whitworth sockets and wrenches... plenty of suppliers there. You'll also need some metric and possibly SAE on the older bikes :D Not too many bikes you can say that about !!!!

Good luck!