Author Topic: SOS...Success!!!  (Read 3087 times)

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 20, 2008, 02:08:32 am
Well, partial success at any rate.

When we left off a couple weeks ago I had opened up the gearbox to replace the kickstart pawl and couldn't get it back together.

The secondary shaft had pulled forward from the bushing it rides in at the back of the box and no amount of finagling would get it back in.

This morning I pulled the outer primary cover, generator and clutch basket, which allowed the primary shaft to slide back and forth.

That allowed me to move the secondary shaft around enough to slide it back into the bushing. I have also decided that part of the problem was that the slot at the bottom of the shifter bell crank was not properly engaging the pins on the shift fork. This kept the secondary shaft from moving up and down enough to get the end of the shaft into the bushing.

So, to wrap up, I was able to get everything in and lined up and slide the shaft back in place and put the inner cover back on.

So tomorrow's project is to reinstall the rest of the shifter assembly and outer transmission cover, pull the inner primary cover, replace the countershaft sprocket, install the shift improvement bushing kit and heavy duty clutch springs and reassemble the primary.

Not too much.

BTW, Snidel says that before you remove the inner primary case you have to remove the electric start sprague clutch assembly. how are you supposed to do that? 2 of the 5 screws that hold the cover on the assembly are not accessible if the inner primary case is attached to the crank case.  I was able to pull the generator and primary chain sprocket without pulling the sprague assembly and it seems like I can pull the primary cover with the sprague in place.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:17:05 am

BTW, Snidel says that before you remove the inner primary case you have to remove the electric start sprague clutch assembly. how are you supposed to do that? 2 of the 5 screws that hold the cover on the assembly are not accessible if the inner primary case is attached to the crank case.  I was able to pull the generator and primary chain sprocket without pulling the sprague assembly and it seems like I can pull the primary cover with the sprague in place.

Yes you can...   at least on my 03 es. There are 3 - 5mm allen set screws evenly spaced around the crank output shaft. The bottom one is way low, outa sight...  you also need to take all the nuts off the slipper assembly for the primary chain. This stud passes thru the inner case. Also tape the splines on the gearbox output shaft; this will protect the seal.
   When you reassemble, the starter gears may not line up the first time...
it once took me 3 days of turning it just a tad and retrying, then getting mad and walking away from it. IF anyone has a trick for this - SHARE
                           - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:41:39 am
SO, I got the primary apart. However, I couldn't leave well enough alone.

My elect start was not working properly, so since i had the primary off I figured I should inspect the sprague clutch.

Whoever invented this device should be consigned to the seventh circle of hell.

snidal describes the internals as "bearings" what they actually are however is teeth. But regardless of that they are I just can't fit the gear assembly back together again.

I would have beveled the edges of the bearing shaft that slides into the sprague assembly to make it easier to fit together, but apparently there is no challenge in that.

And just to add to the fun, the teeth are not symmetrical. They keep falling out of the cage while I am trying to fit the two gears together and I am not sure that I am putting them back in correctly.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175