Author Topic: Mysterious ball & rods in the gearbox...  (Read 2514 times)

geoffbaker

on: April 20, 2008, 08:08:58 pm
OK, Im converting the bike from LH to RH shift, as part of starting the diesel conversion. I removed both engine and gearbox.

Removing outer gearbox cover - by the book, no problem.
When taking the inner cover out, two things happened.

The cover came off, fine no problems.
The clutch rod(s) slid out the back (the book shows this as a single piece) and is in two pieces.
And a mysterious single ball bearing dropped out from inside the inner front cover.

Now, the clutch rod doesn't appear broken in any way - it looks like it should be two pieces, about six inches each. Is this correct?

And where the hell did this ball bearing come from? It is rougly the same size as the ball bearing in the clutch swing arm assembly in the outer cover... which is still there.

(It's nothing to do with the main bearing, which I am replacing anyway. Those ball bearings are twice the size of this one, and are all there).

I'm want to convert to using transmission fluid, not grease, but I don't want to remove any of the inner assemblies... they look fine. Any suggestions on how to clean out the grease?

And where the heck did this ball bearing come from?

I have both the super manual and the snidal manual and they show a single piece clutch rod and no ball bearing...

Confused, as usual...

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:42:59 pm
That ball goes in-between the 2 clutch rods.
It was put in there to alleviate the ends of the rod burning up if the clutch was held in too long.
It's still a good thing to put it in neutral when not moving even with it in there.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

geoffbaker

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:27:21 am
thanks!