Author Topic: Baker Breaks BL%$#dy Banjo Bolt...  (Read 2329 times)

geoffbaker

on: April 17, 2008, 06:42:20 pm
Well, it was an interesting afternoon.

I've decided to start on the diesel conversion. As you may know, I rebuilt the head a month or so ago, and got it all together and have had some fun running around town. But the whole idea when I got the bike was to install the Yanmar diesel I have... so it was time to bite the bullet, um, more or less.

Since the rebuild, I've only put maybe a couple hundred miles on the beast, tops ...

And when I went to start to remove the head, the exhaust banjo bolt (the oil feed bolt on the head, one of two) simply snapped right off! Right at the oil feed hole.

I tried a number of ways to remove it and ended drilling it out. I was able to save it, and after careful cleaning, it looks like the internal threads are OK (although I may use some epoxy to build them back up, and I'm going to have to file the front surface some more to get it smooth and flat).

But this was not something I was expecting to have happen! I'll order another banjo bolt, and I'm not worried (it's a low pressure union, after all) but has anyone else had this happen?

The one on the intake side was no problem and I didn't think I'd overtightened them...

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 11:54:28 am
They are fairly weak due to the hole drilled across them so a slightly seized thread can create havoc!
You need one of these eh?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRASS-BANJO-AND-BOLT-BSP-FUEL-OR-OIL-BSA-AMAL-ENFIELD_W0QQitemZ200217032688QQcmdZViewItem
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

geoffbaker

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 04:02:46 pm
I've ordered a replacement... I'll build the threads back up with an epoxy compound and then use plenty of antisieze!