Author Topic: Horn quit honkin'.........  (Read 4465 times)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
on: July 16, 2007, 11:46:46 pm
My horn quit working so I installed another, louder horn. It wont work either. The only sound it emits is a slight squawk, just like the one which was replaced. When the horn button is pressed the ampmeter swings wildly to the left. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks, Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 01:02:14 am
 make yourself a test switch, (12 volt on contacts) to test the horn in it's fitted location.  Connect this to the horn, and see if it works.  If it doesn't, then the ground or the horn are suspect - test the ground.  If it does work, then the problem is your switch.

A softer or squeaky horn sound suggests that the contacts of your horn switch, or the connections in the wires to the horn, are corroded, making a bad contact. First check the wires and connections - if these are ok, dismantle the handlebar switch and clean the contacts..  or buy another horn switch.

I can think of nothing else that would give you that problem, but then I do not claim to be an expert.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 03:47:43 am
I had a deal like that once on my bike and it turned out that one of the wires had melted against my exhaust pipe. It was only sort of a half-a**ed short as it did not blow a fuse. It is also surprising how many horns (not just RE horns) are defective out of the box. I would jumper to the horn from the battery just to make sure the horn is fine. Also check the grounds behind the battery box. For a couple of years they didn't remove the powercoating form the frame before they attached the grounds and they were commonly defective.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 04:13:36 am
Mine fell off twice and it is adjustable for sound.  Just loosen nut and turn screw and tighten and test.  May take a while but it does work...dg

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:47:28 pm
Finally got around to checking out my horn. Cleaned all contacts, checked to see if it was getting voltage, it still would not work. Finally after about 10 minutes of adjusting the horn I got it working. Apparently, there is only a small amount of range for the adjuster screw to be in for the horn to work. A couple of turns out and it will no longer work, and a couple of turns back in and it wont work. Anyway it works now...........Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 01:32:09 am
Hey Dew, go honk your horn...........mine kinda peeps............d

geoffbaker

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 01:44:14 am
I had exactly the same problem as Kevin... one of my horn wires touched my exhaust and melted the insulation. It blew four fuses before I found it. Could be your horn is shorting just enough to cause the ammeter to jump and to ground the circuit before any power can make it to your horn... but not enough to blow your fuses.

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 05:54:48 pm
I'm glad you got it worked out.  Now, where did you get the louder horn?  I've been thinking of installing a louder one.  It's funny, bikes need horns the most, and they're always such tiny little beepers.

Peter
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 07:54:37 am
CowBoySculptor

This is what you need!!!

http://www.musicoutfitters.com/ethnic/taxi.htm
 ::) :D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin