Author Topic: Most comfortable seat?  (Read 12929 times)

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
on: April 15, 2008, 01:33:02 pm
Hi.  I'm in the process of getting a new Bullet Classic (ES).  :)  I know CMW has a number of available seats that can be used to replace the standard one, and I'm interested in a single seat.  I like to do long distance rides and one important bit for comfort is the seat (I hate Monkey butt).  Anyone have any thoughts on what they found to be the most comfortable seat?  I'd appreciate your opinions.  Thanks! :)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

deejay

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:37:20 pm
Hi, I have the deluxe solo seat, which I find comfortable enough... the only problem is on a long trip you can't slide back a bit, like you can on a double. I think I'll be replacing it soon. Oh and congrats on getting a new bullet! We expect you to post pictures of it as soon as possible  ;D

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 01:45:36 pm
Thanks!  I'm chomping at the bit until I get the bike (awaiting my IRS refund for the funds).  And thanks for the wisdom...  I note that CMW has a seat they call a longer single... but I don't think it's one of the sprung ones--which I'm leaning toward.  And long rides do benefit from being able to move around a bit.
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 BMW F800ST

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:31:08 pm
I really like the Old Fashioned Lysette-styled seat available from CMW - very comfortable, no buzz-butt, even on long rides. Good price, too. Only problem is seat springs breaking, but CMW replaces them as needed.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:28:13 pm
That's the black one with the springs... looks a bit like the old Brit Bike seats?
Ralph Meyer
2010 BMW F800ST

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:33:18 pm
That's the black one with the springs... looks a bit like the old Brit Bike seats?

Yes, the Lysette-styled seat.

I have one and it is relatively comfortable. Not good for much over 100 miles (at least for my tender tushy).

It is a large saddle so if you're looking for a small profile, this might not be the one.

It also sits very tall which makes it a stretch for us 29" inseams....

It is a good $ value.

See for pix:
http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/Conversion.htm

Matt
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:34:54 pm by Thumper »

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 06:19:37 pm
I love the stock saddle!  Very soft and able to adjust rider position.

The coil sprung seats - reports have them pitching the rider forward with hand pressure on the handlebar grips.  But I don't have one so others, who do, would know best.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:07:35 pm
Well done on the Bullet purchase  ;D

I have the single saddle with later type (non breaking) springs. It was bought for the looks and isn't as comfortable as the dual std seat to my butt, but being a victim of (self created) fashion awarness; bike looks much better with the single saddle you see, I'll hack it OK for about 70-80 miles before I need a stretch.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 12:37:40 am
I've stayed on the Lysette seat for over 100 miles at a stretch - no buzz, comfy. Seems to fit my 30 inch inseam, 175 pound profile pretty well. Looks good, too.

geoffbaker

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:54:54 am
I've ordered a Lycette seat because like everybody else I love the looks.

I'm planning a 1800 mile trip this summer... I'll let you know how comfortable it is when I return :D

I'm thinking I may have it recovered in soft leather over a gel pad before starting...

mtrude

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 01:23:10 pm
Hello is anyone using the British made dual passenger seat? I look the looks of it more than the solo seat though the solo is very comfortable. Thanks mtrude

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:38:00 pm
I find the  standard dual-seat to be really comfortable.  However I don't use it - I prefer a sprung saddle (Lycett type).  It's a question of style over comfort!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 04:50:34 pm
I have the british style dual seat, but I haven't had a chance to ride since I installed it due to some as yet unresolved transmission issues.

Just on the center stand though it is a better fit for me (I am tall) than the stock seat.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 10:31:40 pm
Sounds like the Lysette or the regular stock seat (or the Brit) is getting the votes...  Since the bike comes with the stock one, I'll maybe stick with that, do a couple of long rides, and then spring for the Lysette type in the hopes that its springs'll hold up. Thanks fellows for the wisdom.! I'll be listening close to y'all.  :)
Ralph Meyer
2010 BMW F800ST

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 03:55:05 am
I have the Deluxe solo seat from CMW in tan. Originally, with the std 5" springs, it was too tall for me, so I now have the 3" springs. It is comfy in that it does not have "buzz-Butt" like the stock seat does (which I cannot stand for that reason). The one thing I wish I had done was to pop for the Premium Deluxe, as the lines are smoother and without the bead that can catch on your britches or cause an irritation on a longer ride. I also think the profile is more sensuously, butt pleasing on the Premium (at least from the looks).

As for pitching forward, I do sometimes find myself sitting a little forward on the seat  but that's not due to angle, as I have the shorter springs and the seat cups, more like a saddle. I think it is just me carcass moving around on the seat (maybe to avoid the beaded edge?). Also, long standard springs make it seem like you're riding a hobby-horse. Get the shorter ones, if you go this route.

I purchased the black sprung pillion (matches the Lysette) for my wife and she is very happy with the ride.

No, I would not go back to a solidly mounted seat at this time, although I like the looks of the British style dual with white beading.

As for long time in the saddle. I used to take 400-500 mile day trips on my BMW R90 with a great saddle, but even in those days I needed to give the legs a stretch every hour or so, or stand up on the pegs and air out from time to time. Gosh, I can't even stand my living room couch for two hours.

-Jesse, "Happy Butt, Mcgee"
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.