Author Topic: Intermittent bulb problem  (Read 2370 times)

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 19, 2008, 04:04:24 pm
Today I solved a minor problem which has been bugging me for some time and I thought other members might like to know about it in case they encounter a similar problem.

One of the bulbs in my speedo - the tiny one nearest the front of the bike, and the easiest one to get to - has never been really reliable.  Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesn't.  On the road, the bulb may come on for several minutes, or flicker on and off for a few seconds.  Mostly, it's off.  Wiggling the wires inside the headlamp shell might or might not make it light.  If it comes on, it might turn itself off again if you move anything, or if you don't move anything!  Fiddling with the bulb-housing has a similar unpredictable effect.  It might work, or it might not.

My brother-in-law suggested looking closely at the bulb so I did, through a hand-lens, and sure enough, one end of the filamement has come loose and bounces around making contact only occasionally.

This has been getting on my nerves for over two years!!!!

Tom
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:47:04 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

geoffbaker

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 04:15:21 pm
That's the problem with electrics... there are an infinite number of ways they can go wrong. I had a similar problem with the taillight... it was intermittent and I worked on everything replacing wires and connections and playing with the housing... then I tried a new bulb and hey presto! :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:37:23 pm by geoffbaker »

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 08:30:52 am
SB.
Probably another good reason to go the LED route for the 'bulbs'. The actual holders aren't very good anyway but using an electrical contact spray + the LED bulbs should mean trouble free operation for a long time to come! Works for me  ;)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin